Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anti-biotics. How many doses before you start to see an improvement?

(8 Posts)
ohtowinthelottery Mon 10-Mar-14 16:15:35

That's it really. DD unwell with chest infection. Has had 3 doses ABs so far and is still spiking temperature, which is only marginally coming down with paracetemol/ibuprofen. How long does it take before the AB's start to work - or not as the case may be?

LastingLight Mon 10-Mar-14 16:55:11

They're clearly not working. Was it the same ab every time or different ones? Has she had any physio to loosen up the phlegm?

Burmahere Mon 10-Mar-14 17:01:05

I have no medical experience but having had pneumonia, pleurisy and other various chest infections I would have said at least a couple of days if not three to start feeling even vaguely better although I know children usually pick up more quickly than adults do. Can you ring your GP OP?

Burmahere Mon 10-Mar-14 17:01:57

Sorry I'm assuming you mean 3 doses of the same course but reading LastingLight's reply did you mean 3 separate courses?

crazykat Mon 10-Mar-14 17:06:52

Ds2 had a bad chest infection with high fever and it took 2-3 days before he showed signs of improving. It was a very bad chest infection and he was almost admitted to hospital.

Ds1 had a milder chest infection and it took about 2 days before he was bouncing off the walls like his usual self.

LastingLight Mon 10-Mar-14 17:09:29

Sorry I probably misinterpreted. If she has only had 3 doses you need to give it some more time.

Souper Mon 10-Mar-14 17:31:00

48 hours

ohtowinthelottery Mon 10-Mar-14 17:39:34

Sorry lasting Yes this is the 1st course of AB's. She started them last night, so will have had 24hrs worth by tonight.
Looks as though it is too soon to tell if they are working or not yet. Hopefully she will turn a corner tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now