Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Think I have plantar fasciitis who do i go to for diagnosis /treatment??

(31 Posts)
Olivermoliver Sat 08-Mar-14 09:43:36

Has been dragging on for weeks and is stopping me from getting on with sport that I love.

I'm sure by GP will just prescribe anti imflams and rest, which I've already tried.

Do I need a sports physio or a podiatrist??


flow4 Sat 08-Mar-14 10:25:33

Ask your GP to refer you to a podiatrist.
If you're able to afford it, you could buy yourself some arch support inserts while you're waiting for the podiatry appointment.

Olivermoliver Sat 08-Mar-14 10:57:36

Thanks, I have got some support inserts but want to get a proper diagnoses incase its something else and I damage it even more.

flow4 Sat 08-Mar-14 11:28:09

That's why I think you need a podiatrist. smile

AchyFox Sat 08-Mar-14 13:43:28

I had this a couple of months ago, and just did a couple of sets of stretches a day, and it was fine within a week.

Maybe I was lucky, but do give stretches a go.

bruffin Sat 08-Mar-14 13:50:41

I went to chiropodist
I had it bad for months but was cured with two weeks ibroprufen and 10 mins a day ice pack
Also told dont walk in barefeet especially on hard floors and wear shoes with soft soles

Olivermoliver Sat 08-Mar-14 14:59:20

Thanks again, have read up about stretches that should help, did the anti inflams for 2 weeks and it did help but its more painful now I've stopped taking them.
So forgive my ignorance but what's the difference between a chiropodist and a podiatrist?

Cleanthatroomnow Sat 08-Mar-14 15:35:53

Lots and lots of x posts on this, by the way if you do a search.

I've had PF too, but sorry to say it took an age to heal. Never came back, though.

flow4 Sat 08-Mar-14 17:06:53

According to the NHS, "there is no difference between a podiatrist and chiropodist, but podiatrist is a more modern name". Link

ALovelyBunch0fCoconuts Sat 08-Mar-14 18:25:52

PF is actually treated by an orthopaedic doctor. not a podiatrist/chiropodist

SauvignonBlanche Sat 08-Mar-14 18:29:37

Your GP can diagnose this and refer you for physio.

holidaysarenice Sat 08-Mar-14 18:46:31

You need both. A physio for some planter fascitis stretches and strengthening. A podiatrist for insoles/orthotics.

The difference between chiropodist/podiatrist is that podiatry is a newer term. They also have a different university course that allows them to make/do some extra proceedures.

clio51 Sat 08-Mar-14 19:07:10

I've tried all sorts for my PF, had it years!!!
First podiatrist custom made othodics, took some getting used to and also a night splint boot thing. Further on orthopaedic consultant who gave me cortisol injections(never again) plus MRI scan. Then tried podiatrist again different one nhs had gait analyst done she thought it was coming from my back! So referred to physio had back accessed no unusual problems just degenerative. She gave me shock wave therapy on both feet.
I still have more aches than actual sharp pain especially when I've been standing/walking for a while some years later.

Years on still got living with the damn thing, hope you get it sorted.
Just thought I'd let you know what I've tried.

kazzawazzawoo Sat 08-Mar-14 20:00:36

I went to my gp about this just over a month ago. She gave me a sheet of stretches to do, recommended insoles and anti inflammatories. The stretches and insoles seem to be helping, the pain is fading and only now when I walk a lot.

kazzawazzawoo Sat 08-Mar-14 20:01:45

Sorry, forgot to add, I never walk barefoot now, I wear my Birkenstocks in the house and insoles at all times in my shoes.

TippiShagpile Sat 08-Mar-14 20:02:53

I saw my GP about it and he gave me a steroid injection.

It was a flipping miracle. Would def recommend.

Finickynotfussy Sat 08-Mar-14 20:08:32

I have more or less cured mine with stretches, rolling pin massaging under foot when seated at desk (sounds odd but works), latex heel inserts and trying not to overdo the long walks. Also buying better quality shoes - Hotter Comfort Concept are are good (at least, the two or three styles per season that don't involve elastic or velcro grin)

Finickynotfussy Sat 08-Mar-14 20:09:15

I found Dr Foot website useful.

Olivermoliver Sat 08-Mar-14 20:14:12

Thanks all, it seems to be so common.

Think I might start with my GP next week and try some stretches in the meantime.

TheRaniOfYawn Sun 09-Mar-14 00:54:33

I got shoe inserts and within a fortnight I stopped taking painkillers. After 3 months the pain was pretty much gone. 9 months on and I run 3 times a week for up to an hour.

longingforsomesleep Mon 10-Mar-14 00:37:52

Rani - what sort of shoe supports did you use? I tried some that my son had for high arch problems and they were absolute agony to walk in. I looked at a number of things in Boots but don't want to spend £20 plus on something that isn't right.

I think I've had plantar f. for years but it flared up really badly just before christmas when I did a lot of walking one day in boots with thin soles and little supports. Since then it's been agony, particularly bad the last week or two and I've made an appointment with my GP.

almaradlu Mon 10-Mar-14 07:55:53

I was referred to a podiatrist by our practice nurse and he was fantastic. He gave me set of stretches to do . It did take several months to get better (still have the odd twinge if I am stupid and walk barefooted).
Mine was due to moderate tight calf muscles.

I wear fit fop shoes/trianers and was told if I carried on wearing them I would not need inserts. I did buy a pair from boots to wear inside my other shoes and they help but I also have fallen arches as well.

The ones I had from boots were Scholl orthaheel. I will admit I did try them in my shoes before I bought them
Hope it settles soon for you

kazzawazzawoo Mon 10-Mar-14 13:56:11

Longing, I have the scholl orthaheel inserts from Boots too and they have definitely helped. They take some getting used to the first time you insert them, but now I don't notice them.

samwise4032 Tue 11-Mar-14 13:20:09

You should look into BFST by king brand. Their PF treatment is amazing, and has worked great for my wife. She had it crippling for 3-4 months before we tried bfst. Now she's back to running and biking without pain.

longingforsomesleep Tue 11-Mar-14 19:43:56

My PF has been incredibly bad lately. Last night I put a thinnish drinks can in the freezer and then, while I was watching TV I sat and rolled it under the arches of my feet. I have to say I was in considerably less pain today.

I went to a chiropodist/podiatrist this afternoon and she gave me some exercises to do. As PF sufferers will know, it's worst when you've been resting, particularly first thing on a morning. One exercise to do on waking is to use a towel to pull each foot towards me before I get out of bed. I'm hoping that will stop the agonising stagger towards the shower each morning!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: