Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Glucose blood test results ..need retesting why?

(6 Posts)
Fluffy101 Thu 06-Mar-14 14:10:24

I have just had a glucose blood test and when I rang for the results I have got to be retested ..has anyone had this before as the doctors receptionist couldn't tell me why sad

Musicaltheatremum Thu 06-Mar-14 14:34:08

Your level would have been a random level and sometimes they are high. I generally would ask for a fasting level when getting a re test to see that the body is handling glucose properly. I would make sure it is a fasted sample(no eating and just water for 10 hours

Fluffy101 Thu 06-Mar-14 15:53:04

Thanks for your reply ..I fasted before for 12hrs before the test and now a bit worried I could be diabetic sad

Musicaltheatremum Thu 06-Mar-14 22:12:13

It can vary which is why they need 2 tests or in some areas they use HbA1C (a measure of your sugar levels over the last 3 months) to diagnose diabetes.

ErrolTheDragon Thu 06-Mar-14 22:21:00

Of course it could be that there's been a cock-up with your first sample - my DH has loads of tests for various things and sometimes they go astray. So don't worry unduly at this point.

Sixweekstowait Thu 06-Mar-14 22:21:16

My guess is you are borderline - did they give you the actual figure? Why did they test it in the first place?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now