Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thyroid question for anyone in the know!

(6 Posts)
PMTIsMe Wed 05-Mar-14 14:58:31

Hi. I have been feeling pretty low for a while and have had some bloods done including thyroid. I dont know much about it, so wondered if someone could take a look and tell me if I am borderline? My Free T4 is 13, which according to the range given is at the bottom but normal, but my TSH is 2.6 which seems bang in the middle of the normal range. Do both need to be 'wrong' to be a problem? Thanks for any insights!

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 05-Mar-14 15:07:32

www.thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/diagnosis/getting_diagnosis.html

The above may be useful to you

starfishmummy Wed 05-Mar-14 15:21:12

Some people have the symptoms of an under active thyroid yet the figures say they are in the normal range - albeit at the low end.

So you could push to have the tests repeated at intervals to see if there is a pattern. On the other hand it may he that there are other reasons for how you feel, either way a chat with your gp would be good!

flow4 Wed 05-Mar-14 15:39:02

Different labs have different 'normal' ranges, which should be on your test print-out as well as your own results. If you're in England, I think those results are normal, but it's best to check.

Have you had your iron and vitamin D levels tested? I had thyroid function tested several times and have borderline hypothyroidism, but in fact my tiredness was at least partly caused by low iron and vit D, and was much improved by supplements.

Good luck smile

PMTIsMe Wed 05-Mar-14 15:44:56

Thanks for the comments. Apparently I am low on vit D so yes, will be supplementing that from now on. Hopefully thats what the problem is and thyroid not an issue.

flow4 Wed 05-Mar-14 23:03:20

I felt really, really ill and exhausted with vit D insufficiency. Supplements made a huge difference tho it took a couple of months. I hope they do for you too. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now