Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Eczema on hands

(8 Posts)
craftysewer Wed 05-Mar-14 12:23:32

I developed eczema on my hands before christmas and cannot work out why. I have never had a problem with my skin before. After various creams the GP has given me a steroid cream to use. In the meantime can anyone recommend a gentle hand wash that I can use on a daily basis around the house that won't irritate my skin further.

RockinD Wed 05-Mar-14 13:43:02

This happened to me. It came from nowhere and I could not identify any trigger. I tried steroid cream and emollient from the GP but in the end Dermol 500 worked for me, as a cream and a hand wash.

It's about a tenner from Boots pharmacy, but after two years of hideous eczema it was pretty much gone in two weeks and I can wear my rings again.

chocoluvva Wed 05-Mar-14 14:31:32

Nickel allergy? Apparently the new coins have a higher nickel content.

HumpedZebra Wed 05-Mar-14 14:41:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

craftysewer Wed 05-Mar-14 19:36:29

Thanks everyone. I don't think it is coins because the majority of it is on the top of my hand rather than the palm. I'll look into the Dermol 500 and get some new hand wash in the meantime.

plentyofsoap Wed 05-Mar-14 22:02:34

Mine was hormone related and pregnancy was a trigger. I have recently found Aveeno cream actually works and they may do a handwash?

Beanymonster Wed 05-Mar-14 22:10:03

My doctor recommended no washing up liquid, to wash my hands with an antibacterial handcream, not soap, and to wash my hands after touching any chemicals (including shampoo etc) seems to be getting better..

Mine is massively improved since I moved away from liquid handwashes to solid bars of soap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now