Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

any dentists here - gum disease and need recommendation for a London dentist?

(14 Posts)
SarfEasticated Tue 04-Mar-14 22:38:39

I have a history of gum disease, and had my gums treated by a periodontist privately at the recommendation of my NHS dentist. It cost me 1k, but the dentist said there was nowhere I could go to have it done on the NHS. My dentist has now left the practice so I am looking for a really good new NHS dentist who might be able to treat my gums themselves. Is that realistic? My gums have been bleeding again a bit, and I think I need the cleaning under the gums, but I really can't afford another £1k bill to get it sorted.
I have dental insurance through work, but it never seems to cover all the treatments costs, and they don't cover perio anyway.
Can you advise me what I should do?
Thanks smile

Mrsmorton Tue 04-Mar-14 23:18:01

I've never heard of a specialist periodontist working under the NHS in primary care.

Usually though, this sort of thing can be kept under control by you and a hygienist although if your gums are still bleeding it sounds as if there's something you're missing.

Fwiw, I would register with a general dentist and pay privately to see the hygienist, yes it's more expensive than seeing a dentist on the NHS but it's cheaper than a periodontal specialist and it will normally get things under control. The rules have recently changed so you can go straight to a hygienist if you prefer, without a referral from a dentist. Up to you.

SarfEasticated Wed 05-Mar-14 07:20:40

Thanks mrsmorton would a hygenist be able to do the under the gum cleaning that the periodontist did?

Thymeout Wed 05-Mar-14 09:08:07

I was referred to Guy's by my NHS dentist for the same treatment. This was some years ago and the service may have been discontinued but might be worth asking.

Partridge Wed 05-Mar-14 10:49:05

In Scotland here, but I see a consultant periodontist at the dental hospital via the nhs. Gum disease can lead to heart problems, so I cannot understand how you can't be seen by an nhs dentist?

I do know that we have a much higher spend per capita on healthcare here though...

Partridge Wed 05-Mar-14 10:49:32

Also I have had root planing done by a trainee hygienist.

Mrsmorton Wed 05-Mar-14 21:16:34

Yes hygienists are excellent at this. Root planing definitely does not need to be done by a periodontist. I have never had a patient accepted by an NHS perio specialist despite some very worthy cases!

If your gums are still bleeding, I would suggest a hygienist would be an excellent place to start.

NoArmaniNoPunani Wed 05-Mar-14 21:19:13

Go and see Alison at Bellcourt Dental in Bishopsgate. She's a fantastic hygienist.

SarfEasticated Thu 06-Mar-14 09:04:47

Thanks all. MrsMorton could you explain to me what the difference is between root planing and what the periodontist did to me?

I also have a false tooth that is imbedded into my existing root (not sure what the technical term is), but when I had my gums treated, they receded to show a black line at the base of the false tooth. I have a feeling that all sorts of nastiness is getting under the false tooth and festering in there. I'm just not sure what the options are. My dentist said I couldn't have an implant (and I don't think they are covered by my Denplan), but I don't really want to have a denture. Is there a third way?

Thanks for your help everyone and the recommendation at Bishopsgate smile

Mrsmorton Thu 06-Mar-14 17:57:28

I don't know what your periodontist did??

You could have new post crown (sounds like that's what that is) but just because you can see a black line, it doesn't mean it's leaking. Under the porcelain is a metal core so that's probably what's showing and what I say to my patients when I fit crowns. They must be absolutely scrupulous with cleaning it otherwise they will get recession.

SarfEasticated Thu 06-Mar-14 21:45:15

Ah yes Mrsmorton sorry, she numbed my mouth and scraped lots of stuff out of my gums. It took about an hour, and when my mouth had recovered the gums had receded. I wondered if that was root planing? If a hygienist can do that then my prayers are answered.
As for the post crown, I can actually get floss under the crown and feel the post, so I think it is a bit too high now my gums have receded. If I can have a new shorter post-crown that that would be great too.
Thanks again. grin

Mrsmorton Fri 07-Mar-14 01:44:08

Sounds like root planing to me! You won't know til you get started tho so get to the dentist and sort it!!!

SarfEasticated Fri 07-Mar-14 08:06:53

Final question - does every hygienist do this or do I need to ask before I register?

Mrsmorton Fri 07-Mar-14 18:15:03

This is bread and butter for hygienists. A relatively basic skill set.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: