Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pulsatile Tinnitus ?

(5 Posts)
Theonlyoneiknow Tue 04-Mar-14 12:54:22

Just wondering if anyone had any experience of this?

Have had it on and off for a week now. Only notice it when it's very quiet (mainly when trying to get to sleep!) and sounds like I can hear my heartbeat/pulsing in my right ear.

Have made a GP appt for next week incase it hasn't gone away by then.

Any thoughts, should I be worried?

Tansie Tue 04-Mar-14 20:28:52

It's probably 'nothing' and will clear itself, however, your doc may send you for an MRI which should take 10 minutes or so to rule out a Acoustic Neuroma - NOT cancerous! plus, in the case of pulsatile tinnitus, rather than just tinnitus, either an MRI of your carotid arteries (a further 10 minutes, maybe?) as there's a small chance the tinnitus is being caused by a blockage of the arteries that go up from you aorta (main body blood vessel) up into your head; this may involve a small injection of 'dye' (gadolinium); or a CT scan of your carotid arteries (5 minutes) which will involve an injection of another 'dye' (iodine), depending on the sophistication of the MRI scanner they have. Often if there's a CT and MRI scanner in close proximity, they can do one after the other.

These are common 'every-day' tests. Neither 'dye' should cause you any problems whatsoever providing your kidney function is OK. You may be asked to go for a blood test prior to the scan to check this.

HTH

Theonlyoneiknow Tue 04-Mar-14 20:49:22

Thanks tansie, the noise wasn't there all day but has just come back now, this evening :-(

PJ67 Tue 04-Mar-14 23:21:29

Hi. I had a similar thing but when I took my pulse I realised it wasn't in time with my heartbeat, have you tried that. Mine was a thumping sound in my left ear. I went to an ent doctor who diagnosed tensor tympani syndrome, which is basically a spasm of the muscles in the ear. He said if it didn't clear up he could snip the muscle but after about 2 or 3 months it just seemed to disappear.

awaynboilyurheid Wed 05-Mar-14 15:16:57

Had this with symptoms of underactive thyroid its a very weird feeling had to google it and then realised it goes along with my wonky thyroid, I had to keep repositioning my head to make it stop, very strange sensation isn't it ? perhaps get your thyroid levels checked, it has improved as I have been on thyroxine but occasionally comes back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now