Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

When to go for my blood test?

(8 Posts)
Hfigx Tue 04-Mar-14 10:23:58

Hi not sure where to put this but I thought general health was best.
I have irregular periods that vary from 36-48 days
It's been 29days since the last day I started my period.
Anyways drs think I have pcos and have to have a blood test when I'm going to be ovulating and they told me it will be hard as my cycle is irregular...
I've been checking my CM all month and for the past 2 days I've had creamy white CM and just had some spots on my face...
What I'm tryin to say is Dosent creamy white CM happen just before ovulation? Or is it after?
Anyway be able to tell me if it's right be having a blood test this week as I have this CM?
Sorry bout the tmi but I'm really struggling here an would appreciate your help

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 04-Mar-14 11:05:54

With irregular periods it is best to have the blood tests done according to calendar days so you need to go on the 2nd and 21st of each month to have these done. For the day 2 test they need to check your LH level against that of your FSH level; in PCOS LH is often elevated compared to that of FSH. LH and FSH are two very important hormones as they kickstart the ovulation process. If these are awry then ovulation will be affected. With PCOS it is likely you are not ovulating regularly if at all, it is possible to have periods without ovulating.

Such things are often caused by hormonal imbalances, in this respect a condition called PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) is a common culprit. (Another possible cause is problems with the thyroid gland). In your case PCOS cannot be ruled out here.

CM is a very poor indicator of ovulation anyway and should be disregarded.

Hfigx Tue 04-Mar-14 11:15:35

Ok thank you. Well I have no thiroid problems and my prog levels are fine. Not sure about the ftsh levels... But they think I have more of the estrogen hormone than I should have... As I don't have any symptoms of pcos just the periods that vary from. 32-46 days... Yet many people go month without a period. So I really have no idea what's goin on. I also have pains in my ovars the past few days. So just wondering if it's best to have my blood test this week.

eurochick Tue 04-Mar-14 11:27:53

What blood test is it? I've never heard of a PCOS blood test that it done at ovulation.

The usual blood tests are LH/FSH at day 2-4 of the cycle, and a progesterone test 7 days AFTER ovulation (or what you think is ovulation).

re: CM, watery and egg white CM indicate your fertile time. Egg white is most common just before ovulation. Creamy white is usually found after ovulation.

Hfigx Tue 04-Mar-14 11:55:53

I have to have the first bloods for PROGC levels when I think I'll be ovulating then bloods on the 3rd day of my period for glucose levels and I have an ultrasound 14th march. But as I've been checking my cm since the day I came off my period it's gone from a lot of dry days some watery CM and then the past few days egg white cm.
So wondering the best time to go for my bloodtest for ovulation.

Hfigx Tue 04-Mar-14 11:58:41

Forgot to add the watery CM was about 2 weeks ago... So it can't be ovulation as I was using the opk. As it just always said I was highly fertile not peak... That's why my gp thinks I have pcos and think I have too much estrogen

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 04-Mar-14 14:08:55

OPKS are pretty much not worth using at all if the menstrual cycle is irregular in nature. Save your money!.

In women, androgens are necessary to make estrogen. Women with PCOS have androgen levels in the "high normal" range (for women). The additional androgen in these women can cause excessive hair growth and acne.

In your case its best to have the blood tests done according to calendar days.

Hfigx Tue 04-Mar-14 15:40:53

I don't suffer fr hair growth or a acne that's why I'm so bloody confused lol. And calendar days?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now