Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Asthma and exercise

(5 Posts)
Kasterborous Mon 03-Mar-14 20:51:08

Recently I started doing the couch to 5K and it seems to be triggering my asthma. It's never been triggered by by exercise before, it's not too bad but I need to use my inhaler. Is it better to have a puff before I go out or when I get back? I don't want to stop doing it.

CatsRule Mon 03-Mar-14 21:19:08

I find most exercise fine but running does affect my asthma too.

Could you take your preventer inhailer before going out? I found that helped with swimming in the beginning amd once I was used to it I didn't need it as much.

Sidge Mon 03-Mar-14 21:21:26

You can have 2 puffs of your salbutamol (Ventolin) before you go out; about 10 minutes before is ideal.

Bear in mind some of your symptoms might be fitness-related so you may find it improves as your fitness and stamina improve smile

struggling100 Tue 04-Mar-14 16:55:21

I take mine before I go out as well - and make sure I have it with me just in case. I think exercise and cold are a trigger for a lot of people, and we have a bit of both at the mo!

Em3978 Wed 05-Mar-14 21:15:53

I do the same, 2 puffs before I go out and carry it with me. I needed it a couple of times in the early days but rarely even think about it now smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now