Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is my age a problem in healing after wisdom teeth extraction?

(9 Posts)
olivo Sun 02-Mar-14 20:27:58

I am 40, and my wisdom teeth have shifted over the past year and now need to be taken out. I am extremely anxious, but have now managed to scare myself by reading things about being older than 20 ish making healing time longer, higher risk of complications, damage etc.

Can anyone reassure me that my age doesn't totally count against me? I am quite frankly, crapping myself ( sorryblush!) .

hugoagogo Sun 02-Mar-14 20:47:30

I had a wisdom tooth out when I was 36 (ish) noone mentioned any potential problems and although it was sore afterwards and you will want to stock up on soup and custard, after a week or so I was fine.

Are they in a very bad position? what has the dentist said about it?

olivo Sun 02-Mar-14 20:54:04

Bottom two impacted, top two through but will also be removed. One side damaging the tooth next to it. GA due to my anxiety. Just keep reading stuff about them being more rooted in the jaw etc.when you are older, and blood flow not being so good.

helzapoppin2 Sun 02-Mar-14 20:54:26

I am 58 and just had a tooth out. I can't say I noticed things healing up any slower than normal. You are a virtual babe in arms and wisdom teeth can be a right nuisance.
I had mine out at 17, under general anaesthetic at the local dentists.
You must be getting better care than that! I just remember it does take some time to heal and you're a bit hamstery afterwards.
Don't worry. I think you will be fine. Maybe get them done before a weekend or take some time off afterwards.

olivo Sun 02-Mar-14 20:57:55

I am having them done at the hospital by an oral surgeon, will be signed off for 6 days afterwards apparently.

Thanks for your reassurances, both, btw.

MooseBeTimeForSnow Sun 02-Mar-14 21:01:57

My DH had all four out using conscious sedation in early December. Only one had erupted through but he decided he wanted all four gone. He was a bit out of his tree for the rest of the day and looked a bloody mess. Painkillers and ABs sorted him out.

The one that had erupted is causing the most problems. It still hasn't totally healed and bits of food keep getting stuck.

olivo Mon 03-Mar-14 19:48:05

Oh dear, I wonder if will look a a mess, don't want to scare my kids!!

Onesleeptillwembley Mon 03-Mar-14 19:55:43

Mid 40's here. Healed no problem. The one my friend had out in early 20's was a bastard to heal.

olivo Mon 03-Mar-14 19:57:09

Phew, thanks, one sleep, that's what I was hoping to hear! I'm feeling old, everyone I've spoken to had theirs done in their teens or twenties.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now