Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.


(4 Posts)
Toffee2014 Sun 02-Mar-14 10:53:48


I wondered if anyone has information on use of clexane in pregnancy, I have a history of asthma and at week 18/19 had problems with shortness of breath (sob) the docs seemed concerned about blood clot on lung and I had several test and eventually a VQ which found a very small area where the blood wasn't flowing as well. The docs wanted me to have a CTPA scan but radiologist said no as mark was too small to be exposed to risk and the scan may not show up anything new, there seems to be a disagreement between the obs consultant and the consultant radiologist, as to what they should do I am currently on 60mg of clexane twice A day which seems a lot as I'm only 5'2 and a size 10. They now want to either keep me on clexane through out the pregnancy or do another VQ, and they won't let me out I've been there for a week now. I just want them to treat my asthma and see if that helps the SOB but I'm not sure what to do now, I just want to go home :-(

Casmama Sun 02-Mar-14 10:59:44

I have a blood condition which increases my likelihood of DVT/PE. And have had a DVT in the past. I am on 40mg/day clexane to prevent clots during this pregnancy as I was during my last pregnancy.
I inject myself in the morning and have one since 7 weeks and will do till 6 weeks after the birth. I have had no problems at all.

I'm sorry you are stuck in hospital- that must be pretty miserable and I would be putting as much pressure on your doctors as possible to make a decision and get you discharged ASAP.

SockQueen Sun 02-Mar-14 14:36:48

The dose you're on is what's called the "treatment dose" of clexane, which is for people who either have a blood clot or are strongly suspected of having one. It's higher than the normal "prevention dose," which is why it seems large. Sorry that you've been stuck in hospital such a long time, tomorrow try to have a good talk to them about your asthma as well as this possible clot and see what they say. Hope you get out of there soon!

If you continue on clexane throughout your pregnancy, it's important that you let people know that you're on the higher dose, as it can affect the timing of things like epidurals (and indeed whether you can have one at all).

Toffee2014 Sun 02-Mar-14 18:59:24

I have asked the midwives who say they would usually induce early and you have to stop injecting 24 hours before then. Its just frustrating as the consultants can't agree, it seems the antenatal consultant want a diagnostic via another scan but radiologist is refusing, the medical registrar also said it has to be diagnosed so I don't know what to think - I feel like the NHS is holding be hostage!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now