Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

PMS in young teens

(7 Posts)
17leftfeet Sun 02-Mar-14 10:06:16

Dd is 13 and started her periods 12 months ago, regularly for the last 8

I can't believe the penny has only just dropped but the week before her period it's like living with a monster -she's a ball of rage but then can be very weepy and down, she hates everyone, wishes she's never been born

She normally eats really healthily but all she wants is carbs and biscuits/cakes

Within 12-24 hours of her period starting she's fine, laughing and joking and being her normal self

Does this sound like PMS? It's not something I've ever really experienced -I know I'm very lucky

How do I help her?
You can't talk to her while she is going through it but I will address it with her when she's calm

chocoluvva Sun 02-Mar-14 11:05:01

Get her a good quality supplement for women of child-bearing age.

Good brands are Biocare, Higher Nature, Solgar, Viridian and others I can't remember at the moment. IMO Holland and Barrat products aren't very good quality.

There are good online shops which offer info about their products. You could try 'Bodykind', 'Higher Nature' , 'Revital' or 'MyHealthFoodStore'.

Cocolepew Sun 02-Mar-14 11:07:42

Magnesium and Evening Primrose or, Starflower oil might help. She needs to take it regularly though.
I know all about the carb cravings but carbs and sugar dont help .

piratecat Sun 02-Mar-14 11:08:34

hello, similar here, very down and weepy the past few periods.

I have bought Magnesium OK, and Evening Primrose for dd (12). I am hoping it might make a difference.

It was quite hard to choose what to give, i will take a peek at the others suggested by choccoluvva.

chocoluvva Sun 02-Mar-14 11:20:34

Magnesium and the essential fatty acids should help, but there are other helpful vitamins and minerals, such as B-vitamins and chromium (which helps with cravings for sugar) in supplements designed for women.

piratecat Sun 02-Mar-14 15:40:16

the magnesium ok is a multi supplement with many other vitamins. it's designed for a woman's cycle.

Cocolepew Sun 02-Mar-14 15:52:11

Magnesuim OK is very good I used to use it, and it saves having to take a load of tablets.
Asda used to do one especially for teenage girls, not sure if they still do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now