Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What is this ache I get after every time I eat?

(14 Posts)
Fatphase Sat 01-Mar-14 17:58:46

It in the upper right of my abdomen, just below my ribs. Its an ache more than a pain. Its bearable but annoying

It started just on and off last September. I took myself off to the GP just before Xmas as it was annoying more than painful. She said it may be my gall bladder and ran blood tests(liver function I think) and referred me for USS.

Saw another GP in January for a renewal of a repeat presription and asked about blood test results. He said they all came back OK so they would wair for the scan.

I have just made another GP appointment for Monday as the pain is now EVERY time after I ear and becoming more persistant. I am still awaiting the USS date,so will chase that up to.

Has anyone had anything similar? Any ideas what it may be?

mrsminiverscharlady Sat 01-Mar-14 18:01:49

It does sound gall bladder related tbh. Fatty food can exacerbate it so try and keep to low fat stuff and see whether that helps. Could also be indigestion - do antacids help?

AlwaysOneMissing Sat 01-Mar-14 18:04:55

I have this too, exactly as you describe, but I also get it sometimes on an empty stomach. I've had blood tests - normal. And I've had an uss - also came back normal (no inflamed gall bladder as was expected). It's very annoying and I think my GP thinks I am making it up!!
I'm just trying to ignore it now and hope it goes away.

Fatphase Sat 01-Mar-14 18:49:57

Ah thanks for replying.

Glad I am not the only one - but also sorry you have the same Always

Mrsminivers - I am back on slimmingworld Monday so will definately be cutting back on fatty foods and will see if that makes a difference.

Fatphase Sat 01-Mar-14 18:50:22

I will report back after seeing another GP on Monday.

smee Sat 01-Mar-14 18:50:59

Me too - feels like someone's pushed a sock up under my ribs, though sometimes more sharp. I was first told Gaul bladder too, but then IBS. I've had pelvic and abdo ultrasounds, plus full bloods which were all clear. The telling thing which my GP said was you're full of gas and that was confirmed on the ultrasound, so maybe you're the same. I think mine was triggered by a stomach bug around Christmas time.

thereinmadnesslies Sat 01-Mar-14 18:52:57

I've had the same pain and I was v bloated. Had an USS that didn't show anything. Then I started the low carb bootcamp and I'm much better and not bloated at all. So I'm wondering if I am wheat intolerant??

Fatphase Sat 01-Mar-14 18:56:23

I have IBS. 4 years ago I was in a horrendous state with IBS. It was so bad I had lost all confidence and used to dread leaving the house.

I am now on Movicol long term and have 1 or 2 sachets every day and usually it keeps my digestove system working on an even keel. I now only get a bout of IBS every couple of months and thats usually triggered by missung a few days of movicol or very rich food or a boozy night out.

The GP at Xmas said she could feel a full large intestine and suggested it could be constipation as well but since Xmas I have really kept ontop of my movicol and have been quite reugular yet the symptoms persist.

Its getting to the stage where I dont want to eat anymore. I know this is probably not helping the situation but I ate nothing today until 5pm b y 5.10pm the pain was there.

NormHonal Sat 01-Mar-14 18:59:31

My gallstone attacks started off like that, FWIW. (Now post-gallbladder removal.)

Buscopan is brilliant, but if the pain is bad ask the GP to prescribe co-codamol.

RawCoconutMacaroon Sat 01-Mar-14 20:11:41

Fatphase, with your history of ibs and gallbladder pain (or pain in the area of the gallbladder... Have you tried a gluten free (and preferably totally grain free) diet for a wee while? Something like whole30, or Paleo. A month on this type of exclusion diet may (or may not!), uncover food intolerance as the cause of your problems.

An awful lot of people have digestive tract problems caused by reactions to various natural substances in wheat and other grains (it's not always the gluten). Of course, that might have nothing to do with your problems, but a few weeks of exclusion diet can do no harm and might give you answers.

I am still amazed that in 20years of ibs diagnosis, gall bladder type pain and various related issues, not once did any medical professional suggest to me that the cause might be dietary... But they were happy to suggest multiple drugs and surgery (which I declined).

Grain free, I have no ibs, no gallbladder issues (or related conditions), don't need any drugs.

To pp, yes wheat intolerance can cause gallbladder symptoms and stones. Inflammation in the tissues and "tubes" of the bile system cause the gallbladder to empty very slowly, leading to sludge bad stone formation. If you get the gallbladder removed, and wheat intolerance was the cause of the problems, the op won't solve all the problems, as the gallbladder is just one part of an inflamed system, which will continue to be inflamed! This is unlikely to be mentioned by a surgeon looking at your gallbladder, but a fairly high % of people will continue to get "gallbladder" pain after it's removed, and may even be told it's all in their head.

Pretty much everything we are told about gallbladder disease is bollocks.

Fat doesn't cause stones. Malfunctioning gallbladders do (what makes it malfunction? Metabolic disease caused by our modern processed diets). Fat can trigger attacks once you have stones, removing fat from the diet may give only initial relief, but will make things worse in the long run (no fat means no flushing through of the bile which means sludge and stones can form). Low fat diets cause gallstones. The gallbladder needs fat to function properly.

Try googling around the subject, it's very interesting. I have previously posted about sorting out my gallbladder by ditching grains and slowly increasing my consumption of animal fats (over about 7or 8 months). I'm now 2 1/2 years down the line and I'm still in one piece!

What I've said is controversial, I know, but I've said my bit, anyone interested can look into it a bit more and make up their own mind. There are some fascinating studies on gallstone formation during fat restricted diets and on the effect of wheat flours on the rate of emptying of the gallbladder.

Runs away and puts on flame proof suit grin!

Fatphase Thu 06-Mar-14 15:32:13

Thought I would update.

Went to GP Monday who chased up my ultra sound. GP sent me for a Helicobactor Pylori breath test as a ruling out excercise. I get the results all going well in 2 weeks.

GP also prespcribed Omeprazole - a super strength type antacide (I think). This is incase I have an ulcer or its a gastric juices issue. I am to try this for 2 weeks and report back if there is any improvement or not.

Then today I went for my Ultra Sound. All they said is that liver, pancreas and gall bladder all looks normal and no gall stones.

So I see my GP again a week on Monday and will wait and see if these tablets make any difference in the mean time.

At the moment I cannot say I have noticed any difference with medication (2 days) but then I have had 2 very stressful days dealing with a recent death so tummy has been flipping over and lurching enough on its own.

Any suggestions or ideas as to what it may be now gall bladder seems to have been ruled out?

The radiologist said the scan did not look at bowels or intestines so that may possibly be the next thing looked at.

DontWannaBeObamasElf Thu 06-Mar-14 15:42:41

Sounds exactly like what I have. Ultrasound also clear. I have a hard bit under my ribs which I think is my large intestine. GP on Wednesday so will see what she says.

Fatphase Thu 06-Mar-14 20:27:35

Good luck DontWannaBe Please let me know how you get on.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Thu 06-Mar-14 20:39:00

I agree with Coconut. If you've had digestive problems over a long period of time, what have you got to lose by trying an exclusion diet?
I had my gb removed a year ago, and tbh regret it now. I don't have attacks, but am permanently bloated (sometimes swell up by 7cm by evening), and have a new ring of blubber around the middle which literally appeared overnight and won't shift. And yes, I did follow a low fat diet a few years ago - plus I gained a lot of pg weight which again I lost very quickly. A doctor told me it's not necessarily being overweight, but losing the weight quickly that causes it. (I know yours is not necessarily the gb but for general info...)
Might pm Coconut and ask where to start with addressing this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now