Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone have receding gums from over brushing?

(9 Posts)
NewFish Fri 28-Feb-14 18:42:36

I have hyper sensitive teeth. Getting worse with age. Told yesterday I press too hard and clean my teeth too much for too long.
Irreversibly damaged my gum line.
Any one else got the same problem. How do you cope? sad sad

rabbitstew Fri 28-Feb-14 19:47:45

Yes, my gums have receded due to years of brushing too long and too hard! I don't have hypersensitive teeth, though. The dentist suggested running the head of my toothbrush under hot water before using it, to soften it up as much as possible, and to try not to brush so hard in future! Tbh, given that I am not prone to tooth decay (maybe because I've always brushed so excessively!!...), I no longer brush my teeth in the morning if they feel clean (I have a very sensitive tongue and they feel a bit "rough" to the touch if they need cleaning). I've been brushing less hard and not always brushing twice a day for two or three years now and haven't had any problems with tooth decay and my gums haven't receded any further. The not always brushing in the morning bit was not at my dentist's suggestion, btw!

Marrow Fri 28-Feb-14 19:51:33

I do. I have now got an electric toothbrush which warns you when you are applying too much pressure. My teeth feel cleaner and hopefully I am not damaging my gums so much.

NewFish Fri 28-Feb-14 22:46:01

Thanks. My friend is a dental nurse and told me yesterday to rub neat sensodine paste onto the sensitive teeth and gums before bed. I did it last night and I can already feel my teeth aren't as sensitive. She said that it can be used this way indefinitely although the tube does state a month maximum.

missmagnum Fri 28-Feb-14 22:53:04

Yes me too. They had become swollen and bleeding. I was advised to use a mouthwash which has really helped and an electric toothbrush. Must admit I ditched the electric toothbrush after a month as I didn't like the feeling, but the mouthwash seems to have done the trick.

Mrsmorton Fri 28-Feb-14 23:26:26

Electric toothbrushes detect when you are pressing too hard and stop the brush. They are a very good idea and give better results than manual cleaning.

Willdoitinaminute Sat 01-Mar-14 17:27:02

When you brush your teeth DO NOT rinse out after you finish brushing. It washes away all the lovely toothpaste and it can't do its job.
Also gum recession is a natural part of ageing ,your gums recede approx 1mm every decade from your 20s. Brushing technique can accelerate the process though.
Would agree with Mrsmorton about electric toothbrushes, don't get the new Colgate one though its very cheap and tacky feeling and when I tried one I didn't like it. Oral B are pretty good but for sheer luxury and looks you can't beat the Phillips Sonicare Diamond. Try Boots they always have offers on.

hiddenhome Sat 01-Mar-14 19:58:21

If you can afford it, get an Emmi Dent ultrasound toothbrush. There is virtually no friction on your teeth and gums and it gets your teeth sparkling clean.

polkadotdelight Sat 01-Mar-14 20:01:49

Yes. I brush manually now and a year on it is much improved. I also don't rinse the toothpaste away as willdo said.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now