Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Fed up!

(3 Posts)
jackjacksmummy Fri 28-Feb-14 17:15:10

Hi all,

I've had really heavy periods for quite a few years now, even worse since having my last child - now almost 8!

My periods are thankfully very regular, I don't take the contraceptive pill because this made them worse.

Every month I have at least 24-36 hours of being super heavy, i.e big clots bigger than 50p size, having to wear a super plus tampon and a sanitary towel and that be flooded in less than an hour!
It's affecting my work where I have to go to the loo regularly to make sure I'm not leaking and I work in a school so this can be hard to do sometimes!

I get really bad ovulation pains mid cycle and then again at the start of my period and a dull ache in my back.

Do you think I should speak to my doctor? What could be the problem?
Thanks

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 28-Feb-14 17:41:31

I would certainly speak to your GP and ask/insist on being referred to a gynae. Do not take no for an answer!.

Fibroids can certainly cause heavy bleeding to arise, it is certainly in your interests to find out WHY your periods are so heavy as well as treating the current symptoms (you may be offered the Mirena coil or tablets to try and stem the bleeding).

Any symptoms that are cyclical in nature and that get worse up to and including menses could be due to endometriosis.

Would also suggest in the meantime you keep a daily pain and symptom diary and note everything down. This will also give the gynae clues as to what is going on.

You do not have to put up with this, you will need to be persistent in order to get answers however.

jackjacksmummy Fri 28-Feb-14 20:35:22

Thank you for your reply, I'm definitely going to see about getting an appointment next week, I can't put up with it for another 20ish years!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now