Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Doctor has just scared the shite out of me

(10 Posts)
Rissolesfortea Fri 28-Feb-14 15:12:23

I have become increasingly breathless and wheezy and just thought I would need an asthma pump. Dr I saw is a locum so doesn't know me, took my blood pressure which was very high, listened to my chest which was clear and said my symptoms are due to my heart. She has put me on tablets to lower BP, arranged blood tests, BP checks every week, advised eye test and told me to ring 999 if I get chest pains or headache.

I'm scared.

Sparklingbrook Fri 28-Feb-14 15:24:43

I think I would be inclined to get an appointment with your usual GP to confirm all this.

Book an eye test anyway-you could get that done over the weekend.

Did they say what could be wrong with your heart?

brew don't be scared.

Rissolesfortea Fri 28-Feb-14 15:45:56

Thanks Sparklingbrook. I couldn't really take it all in as it was a bit of a shock, plus she had a very strong accent and I didn't understand her very well. I will get the eye test as I needed one anyway and have to go back next week so will try and get an appointment with my doctor.

I didn't feel too bad when I went in but came out feeling as if I was going to drop down dead any minute!

Thank you for the brew although I'm tempted with wine right now!

slug Fri 28-Feb-14 16:17:28

Just before Christmas I went to the doctor with a chest infection that wouldn't go away. Within half an hour I was in A&E with what is called a 'hypertensive crisis' i.e. my blood pressure was explosively high. The chest wheeziness was fluid draining into my lungs. I also had an irregular heartbeat and my kidneys stopped functioning properly.

I spent 3 days in hospital while they tried to stabilise my blood pressure insisting I felt perfectly fine if a little tired from the lack of sleep Bar the wheeziness I had no symptoms at all. Like you I panicked it was my heart, but now that my blood pressure is back to normal and after more blood tests, scans, xRays, heart traces and prodding than I care to mention (god bless the NHS) my consultant thinks the problem is with my adrenal glands overproducing the hormone that regulates blood volume.

I have a BP monitor at home and I check twice a day, keeping a track on a nice little app, with instructions to go to A&E if it spikes beyond a set range.

What I'm trying to say is it may not be your heart that is the problem. It took months to get to the point I am at now with my diagnosis and even then they are not completely sure. But knowing it is not my heart, though my heart is affected if it gets out of control, means I have an incentive to keep exercising without panicking that I'm going to drop dead on the treadmill. You need to ask your doctor to investigate the cause rather than just treating the symptoms.

Rissolesfortea Fri 28-Feb-14 16:43:26

Thank you slug, that makes me feel a bit better. I know that part of the problem is that I am overweight, I have been trying to eat less and exercise more but it was the exercising that made me more aware of the breathlessness and wheezing.

I'm hoping the blood tests will provide more clues as to the cause as they will check for diabetes, renal function etc.

At the moment I am panicing at every little twinge!

I hope you are feeling much better now.

digerd Fri 28-Feb-14 19:12:44

My heart problem is a leaking aortic valve which was diagnosed by listening to my heart which showed a murmur. Then a doppler echocardiogram gave more detailed info.

Your GP should refer you to a cardiologist for further tests. There are various types of heart problems and treatment/operations.

Good luck.

Sharingeverything Fri 28-Feb-14 19:16:59

Digerd I don't mean to scare you but my husband was diagnosed with a leaking aortic valve and told that as his heart was operating at above 60% they would monitor him and arrange op as and when it deteriorated. Two months later and three heart attacks, an emergency operation and 6 weeks in hospital were the end result. I'm sure you are being monitored but I hear so many people talk about leaky valves with no treatment plan in place.

digerd Fri 28-Feb-14 20:12:03

Sharing

Mine was diagnosed in 2007 and in 2011 I was discharged from the Clinic as" there was nothing they could do but the operation and it wasn't bad enough for that yet", although it had deteriorated during the monitoring period. confused
I don't have wheezing but I do have shortness of breath due to asthma according to GP.
Haven't suffered any heart attacks , but definitely have less energy and more tired than I was, but then I am getting on a lot bit

helzapoppin2 Fri 28-Feb-14 20:59:13

Hey, Rissoles, part of your worry is that you have read a lot into the way this doctor communicated with you. It sounds as if you have one or two problems which can be dealt with, and just need to keep an eye on things until you know more.
Don't panic, in fact, relax! The tablets will bring your bp down.
She is ordering these tests in case there is something wrong, not as confirmation that that there is!
You poor love, you've had a scare. You will feel better as you find out more. In the meantime don't scare yourself. Hand holding.

Rissolesfortea Sat 01-Mar-14 13:18:24

Thank you helza, I must admit I had trouble getting off to sleep last night as I was imagining all sorts of things but I was relieved to wake up this morning feeling more positive.

As you say, I might have a problem but it is being dealt with which means I am probably better off now more than I was yesterday. Plus it has spurred me to take a good look at my lifestyle and made me determined to do something about getting more healthy so not all bad news.

Thanks for hand holding grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now