Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Insanely itchy scalp- it's really getting me down and I've tried EVERY shampoo

(7 Posts)
RedPencilPot Thu 27-Feb-14 21:31:14

I can truly say I've tried everything going for my itchy scalp.

I've had it for years and I can't get rid of it- I feel so down that I might actually have decent hair but it's ruined by the fact that I scratch my scrap incessantly sad

I'm not sure there is anything else I can try- have been using apple cider vinegar but hasn't worked.

As soon as I wash my hair the cycle of itching starts again.

What could it be?

mrsslc Thu 27-Feb-14 21:34:48

Have you been to your GP? There are prescription shampoos you could try if you haven't already?
I suffer with my scalp Too, you have my sympathies :-(

gamerchick Thu 27-Feb-14 21:37:09

have you tried maybe just stopping washing it? It is horrible and stinky to start with but after a while it goes lovely apparently.

jadle1977 Thu 27-Feb-14 21:39:14

Do you have a lot of sugar in your diet? I know it sounds odd but when I have too much sugary stuff over a few days I drive myself insane with an itchy scalp. As soon as I'm sugar free it goes. Maybe worth a try?

RedPencilPot Thu 27-Feb-14 21:48:40

I wondered about the sugar thing; I have a fairly healthy diet but I love chocolate and have it everyday. Wonder if that would be the reason?

DPotter Thu 27-Feb-14 21:51:59

I had exactly the same problem; itchy scalp for years & years - tried everything and nothing - made no difference. Tried alternative medicine and finally thought 'sod it I know complaining of an itchy scalp is minor in comparison to how some people are suffering but' and took myself off to the GP. He was great - listened, looked and prescribed a steroid lotion to be used for 3 days max but could repeat after e few days if itching came back. And it worked - applied for 3 days ( no itching after 2) and then a month before any further itching. applied for another 2 days and again itching went for several weeks. So I would recommend Betacap steriod lotion as it's changed my life- only available on prescription. I now just use a a standard dandruff shampoo with a 'top-up' of betacap (just one application seems enough). Good luck

TheBigBumTheory Thu 27-Feb-14 21:54:15

Have you tried Boots Botanicals?

I've just discovered it and it stopped my itching.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now