Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

normal period pain or something else?

(5 Posts)
wfrances Thu 27-Feb-14 10:22:54

has anyone had such severe sudden pain -that they've been left screaming ,writhing on the floor, cold and clammy?
this has happened twice,(6 months apart) lasting between 90 mins/120 mins
by the time shes seen by a doctor- the pain is subsiding ,and shes looking a lot better.
doctors have said its normal for 17 yr olds to have this kind of period pain.
is it? do you think the pill would help?

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 27-Feb-14 10:34:17

I remember those sorts of pains all too well.

No it is patently NOT normal to have that kind of period pain, not at all and the doctors are basically fobbing her off. She needs to see a gynae urgently.

Endometriosis could be the root cause of these pains, it certainly cannot be ruled out currently. Many GPs are ignorant when it comes to endometriosis and do not consider it, this is why she needs to see a gynae (preferably one with an interest in endo as well).

The pill will only serve to mask the symptoms of the underlying problem, it will not get rid of any existing endometriosis deposits if they are already there. Endometriosis is usually diagnosed through a keyhole surgery op called a laparoscopy.

I would suggest your DD now keeps a daily pain (noting pain on a scale from 1-10) and symptom diary because this will also give the gynae clues.

I would suggest that both you and she look at this website;-
www.endo.org.uk

TheOrchardKeeper Thu 27-Feb-14 10:43:19

Agree with Attila

Sorry for you DD. It's horrible to be in that much pain and to be fobbed off. Keep pushing for answers thanks

wfrances Thu 27-Feb-14 10:48:04

thanks for your response Attila
I have marked the 2 dates this has happened , other than these 2 occasions of severe pain she doesn't and has never had any pains, no cramps -nothing, ever, she has pain free periods.
I will look at the website ,thanks

wfrances Thu 27-Feb-14 12:05:22

bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now