Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Postnatal SPD/pelvis issues

(7 Posts)
Thingymajigs Wed 26-Feb-14 15:32:22

Ds3 is just over 3 weeks old and I'm only now having problems with my pelvis. Apart from a few weeks of SPD in my second trimester I was absolutely fine but not long after the birth I noticed a grinding in my lower pelvis. I can hear it clicking too and it's very painful. I'm scared that this is a permanent condition and I'll never get back to my usual level of activity. I can't even walk to the local shop or take my son to school anymore.
The GP told me to take ibuprofen and to expect a full recovery in a week but its now much worse.
Do I go back and push for a physiotherapy referral or is this a waste of time? How about private treatment with a chiropractor or an osteopath, does anyone have any experience with this?

Thingymajigs Wed 26-Feb-14 19:07:40

Anyone?

jimijack Wed 26-Feb-14 19:13:15

In a week!!! ?? Really?
I felt better after about 2 months, then felt even better after losing some weight.
It really did settle down, hopefully yours will too.

Thingymajigs Wed 26-Feb-14 19:49:49

Thanks jimijack. That gives me a bit of hope. I've been running through the worst case scenarios but its probably just my hormones unsettling me. Did you need to completely rest or did it ease up regardless?
Also, does anyone know how breastfeeding affects SPD symptoms?

RandomMess Wed 26-Feb-14 19:52:23

My SPD didn't really clear up until I stopped breastfeeding as it carrys on producing the relaxin and other hormones that affect it.

I would find an experienced osteopath who treats pregnant woman and go see them. Helped me massively.

jimijack Fri 28-Feb-14 06:20:31

No complete rest as I had to walk my other child to & from school every day 2 weeks after my section. I had too much to do to rest unfortunately.

I just gave myself more time and did things at a much slower pace.

Also continued to take pain relief as I was in pain all of the time. Struggled to walk up/down the stairs, get out of bed, stand up from sitting etc.

Breast feeding made no difference to it at all.
I am completely back to normal now and I'm still breastfeeding 13 months on.

Homebird11 Fri 28-Feb-14 17:54:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now