Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Copper coil? the pill? other options

(11 Posts)
EdwiniasRevenge Tue 25-Feb-14 16:40:29

I need to sort some long term contraception, as condoms aren't suitable.

I don't like the idea of hormonal contraception. Have had issues in the past with it zapping my libido. And I'm currently on another medication which has a similar effect and inhibits the ability to climax. I just don't want to add to the effects. But I do like the idea of having a bit of control over my bleeding; ability to take back to back on an occasional basis etc.

I'm thinking copper coil is a nice long term option without having to think about it. However, I've read that it can make periods heavier/more painful/change frequency.
I have really nice periods (sounds strange saying that). Nice long 5 week cycles. Nice short 3-4 day periods. Rarely painful. Nice flow.

I really don't want to ruin that. Don't want to be talked into mirena.

Dunno - guess I'm looking for experiences with copper coil.

EdwiniasRevenge Tue 25-Feb-14 22:32:23

Bump?

Iwanttobeblondebutiamnot Tue 25-Feb-14 22:40:59

I have copper coil. So far so good.
It is slightly uncomfortable like a smear test being put in but I think it's worth it for the long term contraception problem...

ecuse Tue 25-Feb-14 22:46:11

I have just had a copper coil removed (to TTC) but had it for 2 years and loved it. I had long-ish periods (7-8 days) and it pulled them down to 6 days with slightly heavier flow but nothing that caused a problem. Went from having cramps only sometimes to having mild craps more regularly but it was like an increase of, say 5% pain to 10% pain; it wasn't a big deal.

I did find it quite painful to have inserted, and felt crampy for a day or two but having it out was completely painless.

If we're lucky enough to conceive a second baby, I'll be having a copper coil put straight back in when we're done!

EdwiniasRevenge Tue 25-Feb-14 22:46:23

Can I ask if it has affected your periods in any noticeable way? Pain/volume/frequency?

Who do you see for one? GP/nurse.

Online it says it takes about 20 mins. Does it really take that long?

EdwiniasRevenge Tue 25-Feb-14 22:47:25

Xposts ecuse

EdwiniasRevenge Tue 25-Feb-14 22:49:41

And can I make an appointment to have it fitted right away? Do I need a pre appointment to discuss/check suitability etc.?

hevak Tue 25-Feb-14 23:01:29

I have the copper coil - I was advised not to use hormonal contraception due to family history of breast cancer and subsequent genetic testing but I won't bore you with all the details!

I wasn't too sure about the idea initially, is been on the pill and liked having the 'control' over my periods. I'd also had very heavy periods and awful cramps/pain as a teen and into my early 20's. These had stopped when I started on the pill, and my GP advised me that the copper coil can cause heavier periods and more cramping so I had my concerns when I had it fitted!

Luckily I haven't had any problems. My first few periods after I had it fitted were heavier and a day (occasionally 2 days) longer than before and I had some mild cramps but these improved with every period and 6 months after it was fitted my periods were actually lighter than when I'd been on the pill and had reduced back down a day, so we're lasting the same length of time as when is been on the pill - so if you have the copper coil fitte I'd suggest you give it 3-6 months to settle before you decide whether you like it or not.

Pros - no having to remember to take tablets/buy condoms.
Cons - can't 'manage' dates you bleed

I downloaded a free app on my phone to track my period, including symptoms - it has a very useful "next 12" predicted dates of your next 12 periods, based on your previous cycles, so the more entries you make, the more accurate it becomes. I've found that useful when booking holidays for example (avoiding camping holidays when AF is expected!) and it also reassured me when I first had the coil fitted that my periods were gradually getting shorter and less painful.

Sorry I've witterred on for so long but I've really come around to the idea of a copper coil - I'm 29yo and friends my age generally haven't been offered it/considered it which I think is a shame so I try to demystify it!

hevak Tue 25-Feb-14 23:03:12

Sorry for typos - I'm on my phone.

Really sorry for the length too! blush

EdwiniasRevenge Tue 25-Feb-14 23:04:52

No problem about whittering.

I think on paper the copper coil is the contraceptive that I think will suit me best.

But I have reservations about it making my periods more regular/more painful hence me asking.

I guess the pill is my fall back.

hevak Tue 25-Feb-14 23:05:04

Just saw your question - I made an appointment with my GP to discuss contraceptive options (but knew I'd be getting the copper coil IYSWIM) - then had to book a longer appointment to get it fitted - my GP clinic only fit/remove could in Thursday afternoons for some reason!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now