Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My arm hurts so much, I want to cry [sad]

(22 Posts)
minxthemanx Mon 24-Feb-14 19:04:54

Over the last few days, I've developed a lot of pain in one arm - no idea what's causing it. It's so bad tonight, I feel tearful and irritable. Ibuprofen haven't touched it. Couldn't see dr tonight as DS2 had haircut and swimming, tomorrow after work DS1 has apt at Gt Ormond St so won't see GP till Wed at the earliest. Wondered if any of you have any thoughts. The worst pain is in the wrist, really tender and aches like hell. Also the elbow, and the shoulder - same thing, tender to touch and really, really aching. The whole arm aches from top to bottom. Haven't done anything unusual to have strained it - lots of dog walking but I tend to hold the lead in my other hand. There is a history of arthritis in my family and my mum has replacement hips and knees. Surely this isn't onset of arthritis at 45!! Nothing obviously swollen, just such an awful ache. Had flebitis once as a child but think that has other symptoms. Any thoughts of what might be causing this and pain relief. other than ibuprofen which hasn't had any effect? Long day at work tomorrow followed by London hospital visit, not filling me with joy...

minxthemanx Mon 24-Feb-14 19:19:40

Phlebitis, sorry. Am wondering if this is tendonitis, but then painful in the joints too. sad

Badvoc Mon 24-Feb-14 21:35:03

Is it your left arm?

RandomMess Mon 24-Feb-14 21:38:18

Hmm I get a trapped nerve that hurts like this, but could be tendonitis (had that as a teen, also hurts like hell), I guess it could be arthritis?

Badvoc Mon 24-Feb-14 21:40:19

If it is your left arm, humour me and call 111 would you?

RandomMess Mon 24-Feb-14 21:52:02

Agreed, please do that!

stleger Mon 24-Feb-14 22:00:03

Maybe tennis elbow? It can be worse than labour at times.
If you walk your dog and he pulls and straightens your arm, does that help?

minxthemanx Tue 25-Feb-14 19:11:48

Hi sorry long day at, work now on train on way back from ds 1 hosp apt.....it is left arm, shoulder makes horrible cracking and grinding when I rotate it. Very sore. Arm aches all the way down, worse if I carry anything. Will try to see gp tomorrow or thurs, does fit, description of tendonitis.

ChaffinchOfDoom Tue 25-Feb-14 19:15:07

get out of hours apt? local drop in centre? spounds like some codamols required . hope you feel better soon

Badvoc Tue 25-Feb-14 19:19:08

Ok.
I really don't want to worry you but...
My dad had similar symptoms last July and went to the gp who dx tennis elbow.
The next day he had a massive cardiac arrest and died in front of me.
Please.
Just go and get an ECG?
Please.

wigglybeezer Tue 25-Feb-14 19:20:28

I was going to say trapped nerve as I have recently suffered from this ( originating from wear and tear on my neck), I first felt it in my shoulder but then the pain spread to elbow and wrist, very very sore difficult to find a comfortable position on the sofa or in bed.

minxthemanx Tue 25-Feb-14 19:21:01

Funnily enough I took some codeine last night and that did take the edge off. If it is tendonitis my sympathy to anyone, else who's, had it, bldy painful!

KurriKurri Tue 25-Feb-14 19:24:30

Look up rotator cuff impingement/shoulder impingment - (its where the tendon is getting caught as you move your shoulder) I had it and it was depressingly painful. The only thing that worked with me was physio and that sorted it out completely after a few sessions and religiously doing the exercises I was given.
Anti inflamms didnt help me much - but you'll probably be given something like naproxen initially, but I'd push for physio early as you sometimes haveto wait a while.

good luck - shoulder pain is awful. sad

minxthemanx Tue 25-Feb-14 19:24:41

Oh bless you badvoc how awful for you. I'd be more concerned about something serous if I didn't have all the cracking in the shoulder, really does sound like a, knackered tendon.

KurriKurri Tue 25-Feb-14 19:25:53

Oh and I found resting with a small bean bag under my shoulders at night made it a bit easier to get comfortable.

minxthemanx Tue 25-Feb-14 19:29:13

Thanks for, that. X

17leftfeet Tue 25-Feb-14 19:41:41

I know this sounds daft but stand facing the wall then bend over from the waist to 90 degrees, placing your head on the wall for balance -and then just let your arms hang

I have a lot of problems with my shoulders and it does provide some relief

minxthemanx Tue 25-Feb-14 20:58:14

Sounds, like,a great idea. I will try it.

MrsPHollywood Tue 25-Feb-14 21:53:54

Minx, I think I've had the same thing. About 3 or 4 years ago I developed terrible pain down my right arm which started as neck pain. Normal painkillers just didn't help at all. I tried to put up with it but took myself to A and E after a few sleepless nights. I was just given stronger painkillers. Still no joy. My cousin is a Bowen therapist and I tried a session or two of that but it didn't help. I had about 3 sessions of acupuncture but it did nothing either. After about a fortnight of little sleep I dragged myself to my GP who diagnosed trapped nerves around my shoulder area and gave me Diazepam - a fairly low dose. It relieved the pain really quickly.

I hope you get sorted as I know how awful it is. I described it as having a migraine in my arm!

eggsandwich Wed 26-Feb-14 10:35:02

Hi there sound like what I've got, I find the top of my arm between the shoulder and above the elbow really painfull, I had it on the opposite arm a couple of years ago and after an ultra sound said it was supraspinatus tenonitis of the shoulder, I can tell you it bloody hurts especially at night when your trying to sleep or roll onto your side. When it happened the first time I had a steriod injection in the shoulder which helped alot though I still have a bit of pain from time to time and avoid lifting anything too heavy, I also had a tennis elbow in that same arm which they again did a steriod injection in the elbow that was really sucessful and get no pain from it now. Unfortunately now I've got it in the other shoulder but am trying to avoid taking too many painkillers and don't really want another steriod injection, when I saw the consultant the first time he said all the tendons are connected that was why I was also getting pain in my neck as well. I keep some arnica gel by my bed and when I wake in the night I put some on the painfull area If I have to I do take painkillers but have resisted going to the GP again!!

minxthemanx Thu 27-Feb-14 16:56:01

Saw GP today and going to have an ultrasound to see what's going on in the shoulder.

EmNetta Thu 27-Feb-14 17:09:52

Hope you don't have too long to wait. My worst arm pain ever was bursitis, where joint loses fluid, and best help was keeping it immobile. If it happens again, I'd try TENS machine, as painkillers from GP not really helpful. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now