Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Platelet count consistently 120,000. Would you be bothered?

(11 Posts)
StarlightMcKingsThree Mon 24-Feb-14 17:21:34

I keep getting tested and it is always this or a little bit less. GP says no problem if I don't bleed a lot or bruise, but I'm confused.

Would you be happy?

I asked GP if I coukd do anything about it with diet and he said not.

difficultpickle Mon 24-Feb-14 17:29:23

Do you mean 120? Usual is 150-450. It's slightly low but if you aren't bruising or bleeding easily and your GP isn't concerned I wouldn't worry about it. Especially as it is consistently at the same level.

StarlightMcKingsThree Mon 24-Feb-14 17:40:32

Sorry. Yes 120.

It's just that I get so incredibly tired and cold. It isn't a new thing. I remember at 21 being jealous of my poorly Grandmother once when she was in hospital because I so needed a warm bed in the afternoons.

But GP said platelet levels have nothing to do with tiredness. Modern living does in most cases.

StarlightMcKingsThree Mon 24-Feb-14 17:42:10

Yes it's consistent. The same as during pregnancy though then they said pregnancy was causing it. Though recent 3 tests show it still is there.

FabULouse Mon 24-Feb-14 19:35:57

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

zen1 Mon 24-Feb-14 20:41:17

Have they tested you for other things that cause these symptoms eg thyroid, anaemia (s)?

StarlightMcKingsThree Mon 24-Feb-14 22:16:06

I was tested about 10 years ago for thyroid and it came back aparently normal. I'm assuming anaemia is done routinely in blood test!?

zen1 Mon 24-Feb-14 23:43:52

Yes, blood test would pick up low Hb levels. Might be worth getting thyroid looked at again (mine was ok 10 yrs ago, but is now underactive) as feeling cold and tired are key indicators for hypothyroidism. Also, my thyroid being off kilter masked blood test indicators for b12 anaemia. You could ask them to check for folate deficiency and your ferritin levels if they haven't already?

StarlightMcKingsThree Mon 24-Feb-14 23:49:02

Thanks. But I had my cold thing my whole life. And my tired thing. I only agreed to marry Dh on condition of keeping house at 23 degrees.

I'm not sure what blood tests they have done but thanks for the suggestion. I know they also found I had inflammation protien so are at least going to do a stool test next.

zen1 Tue 25-Feb-14 00:12:39

Well, as I understand it, you can have symptoms of hypothyroidism before the blood tests show you are 'officially' hypothyroid. Being cold is miserable. I'm always cold unless outside temperature is over 25 degrees. Hope you get to the root of it!

SmokeyEyes Wed 26-Feb-14 22:19:01

When I was pregnant I had low playlet counts. Started off about 120 and everyone was happy, went down to 105 and at about 7 months went rift down to 87. It wasn't until it got below 100 they were going to do something but it went back up thankfully. They said they'd have to take a blood test when I was in labour because they would just be extra careful if it was v low but very rare. They took blood tests every two weeks and we're great. So I wouldn't worry at 120. Even my friends who are drs said it would have to go v low before they worry. I didn't have any cold or tiredness though so not sure if that's linked. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now