Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What will happen at today's appointment??

(6 Posts)
Snicci Mon 24-Feb-14 10:29:52

I have posted several threads about birth injuries I have suffered from since September.

FINALLY, after lots or tears and painful months, I have my appointment for the Gynaecologist Consultant this afternoon.

Will they do tests / scans today? Or will it be an examination and questions then back in for screening?

Can I refuse physio as I should have been offered it long before now and just want "fixed". I know surgery has it's risks but I am in despair and feel if physio is offered, it will only prolong things and inevitable surgery will be needed.

What questions should I ask?

What treatment is available? When can I expect to get surgery (if that's what's required)? How long recovery will take?

My maternity leave finishes at end or April so I need to give my employer a heads up about my planned hours when I return and I also have a 5 month DD so I really hope to be seen soon and for my recovery to be complete by end of Apr. Wishful thinking??

Can I push to go down the surgery route or do I have to accept physio if that's what's offered?

For further info - I have scar tissue and damaged nerves which prevents me from going to pass bowels without hideous pain. It prevents me leaving the house until "I have been" as I need to jump in the bath for pain relief. I am scared of an examination today as the pain was so bad I had to be given morphine when examined during a hospital stay which still left me in tears.

I also have a suspected rectocele. I am 27, had first baby and been put off for life. I just want this whole thing over with and to regain some of my old self back hmm

Any advice from similar experiences would be appreciated smile

OneEggIsAnOeuf Mon 24-Feb-14 11:02:24

Can you phone the dept and ask them what to expect? It is difficult for anyone to give you a clear idea as to what will happen as there are so many variables - the area you're in, the gynae, what your condition is and how urgent they think it is.

I would certainly be prepared for an examination, but beyond that just be prepared for anything. I had treatment on the spot at my first gynae appointment for my birth injury that was completely unexpected (cauterisation). It didn't solve the problem and so i had corrective surgery. I had a pre-op assessment the same day and was in for the surgery first thing the next morning. That happened because there was a cancellation - i may have had to wait weeks or even months otherwise. It was bloody terrifying as i'd never had an op or ga before and had a 4 month baby, and i suffer from an anxiety disorder so being able to plan is very important for me, but it was fine in the end.

Bottom line is no-one could have told me what would happen and it was impossible to prepare. I hope someone can answer who has had exactly the same issue as you, but since your appointment is today i didn't want you to think no-one was interested!

fivecupsoftea Mon 24-Feb-14 15:22:09

You poor thing! How did it go today?

Snicci Mon 24-Feb-14 17:38:46

Thanks for the replies. Cauterisation sounds horrible. Are u all recovered now? So awful being in pain when dealing with a newborn too.

Today didn't go as well as I hoped. I felt completely belittled to be honest. She said it looked as though I have healed fine and that I probably should have been referred to a bowel consultant. I'm being referred to get physio and ultrasound treatment on the scar tissue to break down muscle fibres cause everything's a bit "tight". As for the prolapse apparently it's "fairly common" in women. But that's fine if it doesn't give any pain or symptoms but it's seriously affecting my quality of life (all of this combined) and I also have a fissure sad

To be honest I don't know what to do. I feel utterly helpless and that nobody is taking my pain and symptoms seriously. I feel dizzy and faint every time I need the toilet. When in hospital before, they had to do a reveal exam and I was given morphine and still ended up in tears because of the pain. She wanted to do one today but I wasn't offered any pain relief so I had to refuse, which I know isn't helping but I don't think they fully understand the extent of my pain.

I left crying. I thought I was going to put all this behind me by finding a solution to my problem today but instead felt belittled and let down. She was quite rude, no sympathy, no offer of a tissue whilst crying so I had make up all down my face. I feel torn and in bits.

It's affecting my relationship, my ability to enjoy my DD and my quality of off in general. I can't go out and leave the house until "I have been."

I don't know what to do. Feel so sad and depressed today I can't stop crying.

I asked how long to expect for my referral to come through I.e. Within weeks etc and she said "hopefully but she doesn't feel there is an urgency" to my case.

I agree it's not life threatening etc but I'm just so tired of feeling this way, I feel like giving up confused

Snicci Mon 24-Feb-14 17:39:48

*rectal exam

OneEggIsAnOeuf Mon 24-Feb-14 18:56:40

So sorry it didn't go better. I had to wait 4 months to see a gynae, all the while with a gaping perineum and excruciating pain going to the loo, but at least when i finally got there i had a good and sympathetic consultant. It is awful when you wait and wait for a resolution and then this happens. No wonder you are feeling so low.

I don't really know what to suggest next, but clearly if it is impacting on your life to such an extent it is not acceptable to leave you like that. In my area you can ask for referral to a different hospital - would your gp be willing to do that, or try to speed up the referral? You may need to make a nuisance of yourself.

I'm pretty much recovered - thanks for asking. I still have pain at the scar site but nothing i can't live with. I think of it as my war wound! Haven't had anymore children though - i couldn't go through it all again.

You do sound very down. Do you have anyone in your corner who would help you fight for some action?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now