Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Are palpitations normal for teenage girls?

(18 Posts)
tinkerbell222 Mon 24-Feb-14 07:40:01

my dd is going to be 13 next month.
she was a healthy girl but in the last couple of months we are experiencing some differences in her health. she is very tall for her age.
she likes to relax at half term, but I take her out at least once every 2 days.
yesterday after about 40 mins brisk walk she felt palpitations and she turned pale.
she feels them from time to time but yesterday got me worried.
what should we do? is this normal, will it go away in time?
thank you very much in advance.

ProfPlumSpeaking Mon 24-Feb-14 07:42:20

No, not normal. Please talk to a doctor and not to internet strangers.

GaryTheTankEngine Mon 24-Feb-14 07:44:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tinkerbell222 Mon 24-Feb-14 07:50:33

I took her to doctors.
ecg was done, everything turned to normal.
I wanted a blood test a few times but they didn't see a need for that.
was her blood sugar levels were low at the time I heard.
should I take her to gp again?

tinkerbell222 Mon 24-Feb-14 07:52:32

and at that time the nurses in ambulance said 80% girls have palpitations.

Confitdecanard Mon 24-Feb-14 07:55:38

I would go again. The problem with an ECG is that it only records for about a minute, so in the case of palpitations if they don't "catch" them then it won't show anything. I had palpitations during pregnancy. I think they can be related to hormones which would fit in with your DD's age. However, you must see a doctor again. Try to push for a 24 hour heart monitoring, this will give a more accurate picture. I hope it turns out to be nothing to worry about.

EugenesAxe Mon 24-Feb-14 07:56:20

'Normal' things that give you palpitations: low blood pressure, low blood sugar, caffeine, dehydration.

I get them sometimes - for me it's usually the last two. Although a hole in the heart is also certainly a cause so good you got it checked out.

tinkerbell222 Mon 24-Feb-14 07:58:35

if it was a hole in the heart would it occur after certain age?

Sillybillybob Mon 24-Feb-14 07:59:15

I had palpitations in my early 20s. Still do, sometimes. After testing I've been told they are perfectly normal but sometimes people notice them, and then they become more aware of them, if you see what I mean.

HOWEVER, i had an ultrasound of my heart, (possibly an echo cardiogram?) and a 3 day ECG to check. It's probably nothing but IMO she should be checked more thoroughly.

CuriosityCola Mon 24-Feb-14 07:59:35

When my thyroid is off kilter I get palpitations. Was diagnosed at age 15.

Would recommend keeping calm in front of your daughter, but further investigating with gp.

tinkerbell222 Mon 24-Feb-14 08:04:46

I notice these palpitations occur after a very rested period.
she didn't mention about them at school time.
what does low blood sugar levels mean? what can it indicate?

Featherbag Mon 24-Feb-14 08:24:09

Depends how low is 'low'. I'm guessing not low enough for them to start testing for diabetes, so she may have just needed to eat something. It can be normal,yes, but this conclusion should only ever be settled upon after fairly exhaustive testing! Get her to the GP and get a referral to cardiology, she needs an echo and a 24-hour ECG to make sure it's nothing that needs fixing. She'll need blood tests too.

GaryTheTankEngine Tue 25-Feb-14 13:43:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

treaclesoda Tue 25-Feb-14 13:47:30

Palpitations can also be a symptom of anaemia, I had terrible palpitations when I was anaemic.

But, obviously, yes, she really should see a doctor, it could be anything or nothing really.

Thumbwitch Tue 25-Feb-14 13:51:37

I had them as a teen, and still do occasionally. But I've never been tested for anything to do with them (wasn't considered serious enough to worry about). I'm 46 now and never had a real problem.

Low blood sugar can happen if people are dieting, not eating enough, skipping breakfast, over-exercising without eating to compensate etc. etc.

She should be thoroughly tested but chances are that it isn't anything to worry about; but push for more thorough testing if you're not happy with what she's had done so far.

tinkerbell222 Wed 26-Feb-14 09:10:15

thanks for all your advices.
she was checked in hospital children's emergency a few times in January, I wasn't given a report, but they said not worry each other and try to be positive.
but I will try to push for a cardiologist referral as soon as possible.
I feel so worried sad and I am a single parent.
also, she is quite health conscious worrying about everything.
when she sees me upset she will try not to say much to me but I am keeping a close eye on her till referral without talking much about it.

flow4 Thu 27-Feb-14 06:23:17

She does need checking, tinker, but just to offer a bit of reassurance... When I was about the same age, I had palpitations and sometimes a weird dizziness. At 14, I even had a temporary paralysis where I lost the use of my legs for about 10 hours. I was tested for all sorts of things including diabetes (my bro is type 1) and anaemia, and then given an ECG and EEG. Everything was normal. The docs said palpitations were normal for teenage girls and the legs were stress (tho I'm also hypermobile and that may have played a role). I'm 48 now and haven't developed any related heart or nervous system problems. Be vigilant, but try not to worry too much. smile

tinkerbell222 Thu 27-Feb-14 09:37:15

thanks very much flow4 smile thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now