Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mercury from broken energy saving bulb

(5 Posts)
Verycold Sun 23-Feb-14 19:10:07

Right. Dd broke one last night. It had been turned off a few mins before. I didn't send her out of the room immediately because I was trying to figure out what to do. Then did what they say - 15 mins ventilation, picking up pieces with sticky tape. Made dd, 12, sleep in a different room. Ventilated nearly constantly since last night apart from when dd closed window for two hours this am confused

Realistically, how bad could it be? I am driving myself insane reading stuff on google. shockshock

atomicyoghurt Sun 23-Feb-14 19:19:17

Don't panic. There's a tiny amount of mercury in a bulb and it's not going to hurt you or dd at all.

You'd need to smash several all at once to pose a risk.

If you are really worried and want complete peace of mind, buy some sulfur (eBay or garden centre) and sprinkle it over the area. Then vacuum or sweep up. I'm a chemist and this is how we deal with a mercury spill (I'm talking about huge silver blobs of mercury wobbling around).

Verycold Sun 23-Feb-14 19:21:39

My worry comes from it being mercury vapour, with breathing it in apparently being far worse than ingesting or touching it

atomicyoghurt Sun 23-Feb-14 19:25:22

It will all have disappeared by now. You did exactly the right thing!

Don't worry about it.

Verycold Sun 23-Feb-14 23:35:54

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now