Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Amlodipine - can it cause sexual dysfunction in women?

(3 Posts)
BlackNoSugar Sat 22-Feb-14 19:27:56

Apologies in advance for TMI.

I've had borderline high blood pressure for years, over the last year it has consistently been too high so my GP has now prescribed Amlodipine. I've been taking it for three weeks now, and for the last two weeks have found it harder and harder to reach orgasm. Arousal is no problem.

From searching online, it seems that medication to reduce blood pressure may cause erectile dysfunction in men, but there doesn't seem to be any information about women.

I've had no other side effects except for headaches in the first week, which have now stopped.

I'm seeing my doctor next week for a review, it would be nice to have some clue beforehand as to whether this has happened to anyone else.

atomicyoghurt Sat 22-Feb-14 19:32:42

Hi I can only answer professionally, as I've not got experience of this personally, but one side effect is listed as impotence (1 in 1000) which is most likely related to blood pressure.

Have you had a BP check since you started taking it? I'm some people the BP can be lowered too much when you start and then will pick up again later.

It's worth reporting all side effects to the GP anyway (that's how the manufacturers know about any side effects that are rare).

BlackNoSugar Sat 22-Feb-14 19:56:21

I check my own BP and it has reduced a bit, but not significantly (around 180/105 before meds, now it's around 165/100), so I don't think that is an issue.

I'll report it to my GP of course, but due to other issues there are only two BP meds he's willing to put me on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now