Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Kidney stone sepsis and nephrostomy, anyone got any experience of this.

(5 Posts)
onlyjoking Sat 22-Feb-14 14:53:03

I've recently spent two weeks in ICU with a kidney stone that had blocked my kidney.
When they started working on me they found that I had sepsis shock and pneumonia, I had to have full life support and a trachcostomy and a tube from my kidney which drains into a bag (nephrostomy)
I'm home now, district nurse comes several times a week.
trachcostomy wound is healing well, the nephrostomy is causing pain and discomfort not to mention sleepless nights.
I'm going back to hospital within the next few weeks to have laser treatment to break down the stone, which is nearly as big as my kidney.
Has anyone an experience of this?

chockbic Sat 22-Feb-14 14:54:51

No but it sounds painful.

Have they given you strong painkillers?

poopooheadwillyfatface Sat 22-Feb-14 14:58:19

Long time no see OJ

Bloody hell you were really poorly. I haven't any experience of the treatment - is it lithotripsy? - but I am fairly certain it's nowhere near as bad of what you have already been through.

Are you coping ok with being out of ITU? It can be pretty traumatic.

Capitola Sat 22-Feb-14 15:00:00

Poor you! Two weeks?! And a stone nearly as big as your kidney? Horrendous.

My dh has had several sessions of lithotripsy, so probably not quite the same as it uses sound waves rather than laser.

The aftermath was a bit traumatic, as he had to pass the broken up bits of the stones and then went into renal colic. All very painful.

Anyway - after a year or so, he had lithotripsy followed by keyhole surgery to suck out the fragments and that worked well. Will you be having the broken up bits surgically removed?

onlyjoking Sat 22-Feb-14 17:25:35

Thanks for the replies
I've been told I'm to have lithotripsy, they said it breaks down the stone, they have suggested I will need 5-7 lots of treatment, and then joy of joys I get to pass the bits of stone. But I'm sure it will be less painful than the last few weeks.
This is the third lot of kidney stones I've had in 30 years I seem to have them at 10 year intervals, I first had them when I was pregnant with twins and was in hospital for 10 weeks that time.
They want to see why I keep developing stones, they said that my left kidney may need removing,as long as my right kidney is up to the job!
the next best option is a bag for life.
Worst option is a transplant, but there are lots of things they can try in the meantime.
I'll find out more when I go in for X-ray then lithotripsy treatment.
Does anyone know if the lithotripsy will move the stone around much and cause more pain?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now