Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

endoscopy please help.

(16 Posts)
andthenthereweretwo Fri 21-Feb-14 20:42:15

I've got an appointment for an endoscopy on Friday to investigate ongoing gastric problems ?hernia ?ulcer. I've been offered sedation but wonder if this will restrict me for the rest of the day. I'm worried about how I will cope with the procedure without sedation though. Has anybody got any experience of this? I would appreciate your thoughts.

Tigerinthegrass Fri 21-Feb-14 20:49:34

Hi there I had an endoscopy without sedation. It's uncomfortable but not painful. It's quite quick and apart from a bit of a scratchy throat and an enormous burp as they took it out I was fine after. They do talk you through it first. I think you need someone with you for 24hrs if you have sedation. Good luck

Selendra Fri 21-Feb-14 20:50:12

They are awful procedures. I would have the sedation. It feels like you're constantly gagging, it's really nasty.

magso Fri 21-Feb-14 21:49:31

I had gastroscopy without sedation because I needed to be 100% with it for my SN child, immediately after school, and DH was working overseas at the time. It was fairly quick so I was able to get back to caring very fast. It is uncomfortable on your throat (and might leave it sore and croaky) and makes you gag and burp but only lasts 10 - 15 minutes. I got tea and toast after. They use an anaesthetic throat spray which helps.I think they need to know you can swallow normally befor you go home. The longest bit is waiting around before hand. As I have a bit of a gagging phobia , I think if I had the luxury of time and someone to look after me I would opt for sedation if I did it again, but equally would cope if that luxury wasn't there..
I had sedation for bronchoscopy (endoscopy of the lungs) whilst a rather poorly in patient and was sleepy for much of the day. Sedation can take a while to fully wear off, and IIRC you are not allowed to drive for a certain period of time (?24- 48 hours?)

WooAGhostCat Fri 21-Feb-14 22:38:29

You will need to be accompanied for 24 hours after sedation and will not be able to drive or operate machinery for 24 hours.

If you say you don't want sedation at the start of the procedure that doesn't mean you can't change your mind a few minutes in. Many patients 'see how they go'. Some find it bearable, others tolerate it to a point then opt for sedation, most go for sedation from the off.

Endoscopy teams see many, many patients a day. They are very experienced and deal with all sorts of people. Don't be afraid to talk to them.

andthenthereweretwo Sat 22-Feb-14 11:29:43

Thank you for your replies, ideally I want to be able to do it without sedation as a friend needs to travel over and stay with me for 24hours and its a bit of a hassle for her but I have health anxiety and think I might find it too difficult (worry that I will think i cant breathe). Have heard varied stories so probably will wait and see how I feel on the day.

Coldcuppacoffee Sat 22-Feb-14 11:47:13

I did it without because I was breast feeding and am generally anti any unnecessary drugs. Was fine. Tried to distract myself during the procedure. No discomfort after.

Asked consultant how I would get on with no sedation and he said "young men are terrible ( strong gag reflex) and old women are brilliant and you will be somewhere in between!).

Meglet Sat 22-Feb-14 11:52:57

They told me it's easier with sedation (for me and them). I still came to for a brief moment when I was gagging but apart from that I was just out for 30 mins or so. Mum had to stay overnight afterwards.

Reincarnatedpig Sat 22-Feb-14 11:57:41

I had sedation but it didn't work. When I looked at my hand I could see the needle was not in my vein. They let me look down the tube into my stomach! The bit when they pass the tube is uncomfortable but once it is in not so bad. The anaesthetic kicked in afterwards and I just made it home before collaspsing and felt ill for days.

NeedALottoWin Mon 24-Feb-14 12:14:19

Sorry reincarnatedpig but that sounds like BS to me. The sedative drug of choice in endoscopies is midazolam. It is extremely short acting (has an elimination half life of 1 hour).
Even taking into account a mis-sited canula I sincerely doubt it 'kicked in' after the procedure, transfer to the ward, paperwork/discharge etc. plus journey home. Even in the most efficient hospital in the UK with you living next door this scenario doesn't seem possible.
Occasionally they will use propofol instead, but that's even shorter acting.
Even if it were true I don't think your post is in anyway helpfull. Especially when the OP says she has health anxiety.

Reincarnatedpig Mon 24-Feb-14 15:34:19

This was my first one twenty years ago! Perhaps I should have pointed that out. I don't appreciate being called a fucking liar though!

Reincarnatedpig Mon 24-Feb-14 15:36:23

I was trying to reassure the poster it was not that bad even if the anaesthetic failed. Btw no ward, no paperwork no canula - just injection in the hand.

Willdoitinaminute Mon 24-Feb-14 21:29:04

Midazolam is an amnesic and most people have gaps in their memory of the procedure. It also makes them prone to hallucinations so some of the memories experienced may not have happened. There were a number of cases where innocent practitioners were accused of inappropriate behaviour due to this side effect. As a result recollection of endoscopy under sedation is unreliable.
My dad had endosc under sedation but told my poor sister it was fine and that he had not had 'anaesthesia'. Dsis went on to have endosc without sedation and found it just bearable but couldn't understand how dad had found it such a pleasant experience. My mum explained the misunderstanding (she found it hysterical but then she was a nurse).
I had colonoscopy under sedation and what I can remember was quite pleasant. I cannot remember them inserting the camera but I do remember watching the monitor and seeing my insides and remarking how clean I looked inside.
I was fine after sedation but couldn't work for 48hrs (dentist so would not have been insured) and had to have someone around for 24hrs, but carried on as normal.

andthenthereweretwo Mon 24-Feb-14 21:43:00

Thank you very much for your replies-I didn't have health anxiety until this started but my symptoms are uncomfortable and scary at times. Was going to brave it out but have decided to go with sedation-might b nice to get a good rest!! They've asked me to stop meds until scope have tried but acid came back with a vengeance unfortunately.

WooAGhostCat Wed 26-Feb-14 20:57:21

Good luck tomorrow OP. hope it all goes well.

andthenthereweretwo Thu 27-Feb-14 22:13:13

Thank you woo thats very kind of you. Feeling ok so far!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now