Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

If you've had the flu

(14 Posts)
Sunshineonsea Fri 21-Feb-14 19:37:12

How long before you have felt back to normal again?

I've only ever had it once before and I was pregnant at the time so i was wiped out for weeks.

It started last Saturday and I seem to have got over the worst of it, throat is still sore from coughing up phlegm but nose is clear and I'm not aching but I just feel exhausted,
Went to bed at 9 last night and slept through till 7 and I could honestly crawl into bed right now!
I havnt done anything that requires too much effort today, but I was walking around asda for a few bits and my body just felt like it was on slow mode
I've had a headache all day, I've finally given in and taken paracetamol because it didn't seem to be shifting.
Please tell me I'll feel better soon sad

toldmywrath Fri 21-Feb-14 19:47:49

I've only had proper flu once-it was truly dreadful for about 3 days (in pain from the ache all over)Then awful for a further ten days. I didn't fully recover my energy for 3months, felt drained & easily worn out. The best thing is plenty of rest-easier said than done with young children.
Get well soon.

Figster Fri 21-Feb-14 19:49:45

Only time I had it came down with it Xmas day went back to work 10th Jan and prob took another week before was 100%.

I have never been so ill in my life!!

apermanentheadache Fri 21-Feb-14 19:53:42

Mine started two weeks ago to the day and has been followed by secondary infections. I continue to feel utterly shit and very down and weepy - the initial aches only lasted 3 days or so though. You have my every sympathy.

SadFreak Fri 21-Feb-14 20:04:29

I have had proper flu 3times in my 40 odd years.
I would say it's a very slow and geadual process if geeting better. 6 weekish if feeling pretty yuck tired snd rin dien probably followed by another month of slow improvement. I would imagine if you are pregnant then it may take even longer.

Sunshineonsea Fri 21-Feb-14 20:08:39

Thank you, I think Dh thinks I'm being a bit of a hypochondriac(I have form) because outwardly it looks like there's nothing wrong with me but it's really wiped me out
My ds has been really well behaved thankfully smile

Sunshineonsea Fri 21-Feb-14 20:11:20

Sorry just to clarify this is the 2nd time I've ever had it, the first time I was pregnant though so couldn't judge how long it lasted because of general pregnancy aches and tiredness

Sunshineonsea Fri 21-Feb-14 20:13:46

aper I hope you feel better soon brew

SerenaJoy Fri 21-Feb-14 20:15:14

I had it when I was a teenager and was ill for a full two weeks. Seems like I got off lightly, reading other responses! I did lose a stone though (and I was skinny then so that was a lot to lose).

SerenaJoy Fri 21-Feb-14 20:16:26

Oh, and I hope you start feeling better soon OP, and you aper

flowers

MolotovCocktail Fri 21-Feb-14 20:17:55

I had it once - came down with it Xmas Eve 2007 (24yo at the time). I couldn't get warm, despite being wrapped in pyjamas, a thick dressing gown and about 4 layers of blankets (plus heating being on!)

Standing up was a task for about 3 days, let alone anything else. I felt just so awfully lousy for about a week. Kept falling asleep randomly and had zero energy.

I returned to work about 3 weeks later largely recovered, but still not 100% (still felt like I had a cold - but just a cold, thankfully).

I caught another virus late March 2008 and developed bacterial pneumonia (was delerious and coughed up bright red blood. Very scary). I was almost hospitalised and needed a 3w course of double-strength antibiotics to get rid of it.

Still, flu made me feel more ill than pneumonia!

MolotovCocktail Fri 21-Feb-14 20:18:21

Get well soon smile thanks brew

Sunshineonsea Sat 22-Feb-14 07:47:45

Thanks for all the get well messages thanks

toldmywrath Sun 23-Feb-14 20:44:39

Yes Molotov, you've reminded me- I couldn't even crawl to the toilet in the first 2 or 3 days. DH had to assist.
Get well soon to those who are ill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now