Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Periods not lasting for more than three days.

(17 Posts)
littleballerina Fri 21-Feb-14 16:54:32

My periods use to last over a week and now they last three days.
A week either side I get awful PMT.

Littlemissnutmeg Fri 21-Feb-14 19:32:37

Sounds just like my periods, they changed about 2 years ago. Always used to last 5 or 6 days, now down to 2 to 3 days and much lighter than they were before. I'm 38 and was diagnosed as perimenopausal last year. A bloody great shock i can tell ya!! Thought that only happened to women over 45! I also get really bad PMT about a week and a half before and a few days after. How old are you, it's possible you are headed toward menopause ?

JonSnowKnowsNothing Fri 21-Feb-14 19:35:15

Mine are 3 days too, OP. Very heavy. I get hideously hormonal in the days beforehand and my breasts incredibly painful. They used to last 7 or 8 days!
I'm 29 so hopefully not menopausal yet.

littleballerina Fri 21-Feb-14 20:32:35

35 sad
I was diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety connected to pmt last year and was so caught up in that that i didnt realise that my periods had become shorter.

Littlemissnutmeg Fri 21-Feb-14 21:36:15

As i say, i was age 34/35 when my periods started to change. Apparently you can start perimenopause from as early as the mid 30s. I too suffer from anxiety and like you i thought that may have had something to do with my changing periods. Or the anxiety medication i had been taking. I'd also been very stressed after breaking up with my children's father in 2009. I think what you need to do is make an appointment with your doctor and ask for a blood test to measure your hormone levels. What they look for is a hormone in your blood called FSH. FSH rises as your ovaries run out of eggs and your body begins to go into menopause. The test needs to be done on days 2-4 of your period to get an accurate reading. A level over 10 suggests that your ovaries are running out of eggs. My most recent in December was 20.5, borderline menopausal. To me it sounds like you are in the early stages of menopause.

Littlemissnutmeg Fri 21-Feb-14 21:38:26

I'd say your depression and anxiety could well be connected to the menopause.

littleballerina Fri 21-Feb-14 22:34:14

bugger.
I split up from my xh at the end of 2012 and had quite a rough time last year so was putting it down to stress.

I'm rubbish at taking my meds (training to be a mh nurse so not a great advert).

Littlemissnutmeg Sat 22-Feb-14 09:40:03

Of course it could be down to stress, it does funny things to our bodies, including reproductive hormones. I actually believe that high stress and anxiety after me and my kids dad split sent me into an early menopause. The doctor doesn't think so, just a coincidence she said. But i had been in such a state for months, i'm sure my mental health triggered early meno as i had never had any problems before with my periods or my fertility. Try and take your meds regularly and make an appointment with doctor to get bloods done.

littleballerina Sun 23-Feb-14 11:11:40

Thankyou, will do. X

expatinscotland Sun 23-Feb-14 11:14:36

Mine are like this, quite light. But I am 43 and pleased about the change.

littleballerina Sun 23-Feb-14 11:15:27

I'm not sure I'd be that bothered but I suppose a little shocked.

ButICantaloupe Sun 23-Feb-14 11:18:26

I have the same, but mine have changed since I came off the pill. Slightly worried that it could be perimenopause. I am only 26 sad

Clutterbugsmum Sun 23-Feb-14 12:27:06

I'm 44 and have always had periods like this. Although I have one which is much heavier and longer. it's my body has a clear out.

I have even had months with no period, then they turn up as and when.

flow4 Sun 23-Feb-14 12:49:38

I think it's quite normal littleb, and not necessarily linked with your depression or your meds. My periods used to be about 5 days long, and painful. Sometime in my 30s they gradually changed to 1-3 days. Some months I barely notice them. smile However, these days I notice ovulation and get a little cramp and some moodiness when I'm ovulating.

littleballerina Sun 23-Feb-14 13:15:25

Thanks all.

MrsBungle Sun 23-Feb-14 13:19:39

Well I'm the opposite op. Until my first child, mi periods were usually no more than 3 days and light. Since 2 children they are now 4/5 days and much heavier.

DiamondsAndRust Sun 23-Feb-14 19:27:31

Oh gosh, this is me too, and I really hope I'm not perimenopausal as I'm only 33, with no kids yet! My periods have never been more than moderately heavy, but they used to last for around five days, and now are rarely longer than three and very light. They're also quite variable timing-wise - anything from 23 to 29 days. I went to see my GP about this a year or so ago, as I was concerned about fertility, and they sent me for an ultrasound and blood tests - apparently I have one multicystic (though not polycystic) ovary but was ovulating normally, and they said not to be overly concerned. Still find it weird though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now