Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sprained ankle - should it really take this long to heal?

(4 Posts)
itwillbebetter Fri 21-Feb-14 14:11:04

I sprained my ankle last October really badly. It was massively swollen and bruised from my toes right up to about 2 inches above my ankle. Pain was horrific, far worse than when I broke my wrist. X rays showed no fracture.

I'm still really suffering but it's in the inside of my ankle. Pain stems from what I guess is a ligament just on the start of the arch of my foot, about 2 inches from the back of my heel. It goes all the way up the inside of my ankle I can barely touch it and it throbs and wakes me up. Is this still to be expected or do I need to perhaps get it scanned? I feel like I'm constantly bothering my GP at the moment so bit scared of making a fuss!

JackNoneReacher Fri 21-Feb-14 16:54:00

Have you had some treatment? I mean physio?

Sprained ankles can be really bad. Worse than a break in many ways. Certainly sounds very painful though.

If you've not had physio I would go and ask to be referred or get a recommendation to see one privately.

GobblersKnob Fri 21-Feb-14 21:09:33

I sprained my ankle really badly last April and have only just been discharged from physio, it is not perfect but should continue to improve as I will continue to work on it.

They can take a horribly long time to heal but you really need to go back to your gp and push for physio.

You have my sympathies I could not believe how disruptive mine was and how long and how much work out had taken to get it back to strength.

BrianTheMole Fri 21-Feb-14 21:13:14

I'd go back to the gp. It sounds horrendous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now