Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

recommendations please for a London Gynaecologist? (NHS) for VERY painful periods

(2 Posts)
PinkHat1 Fri 21-Feb-14 08:50:13

I am looking for people's recommendations for good Gynaecologists in London (NHS preferably). Some background - I have suffered from extremely painful periods since my teens. (Vomiting, severe muscle pains which last at least 2 days). I went on the pill at 16 which reduced the pain slightly but not much. I came off the pill last year as I am trying to conceive. Since being off the pill the excruciating period pains have returned. There is a history of women in my family (my mother, two sisters and an aunt) with Endometriosis and also diagnosed with fibroids so I'm concerned I may also have this. My second concern is that these painful periods may be what has affected my husband and I from conceiving.

Would really appreciate your recommendations and experiences of good Gynaecologists in London.

Thank you.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 21-Feb-14 13:54:03

A common cause of severe and intense period pain is indeed endometriosis. It cannot be ruled out here. is a good website and has lots of information on it.

In the meantime I would suggest you keep a daily pain and symptom diary as this will be helpful to the gynae as well.

GP needs to refer you to a specialist asap. Regardless of who you see, you need to find a gynae with an actual interest in endometriosis. I would ask this person outright about their experience in dealing with endometriosis cases.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now