Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone any Otosclerosis experiences to share?

(2 Posts)
C4ro Thu 20-Feb-14 19:48:47

Just got diagnosed with this last week. I'm 39 and have been going deaf for years but it's got to be a bit of a liability. Next week I've got a CT scan booked to see what the deal might be and then (extremely likely according to the hearing chappy) "an operation".
I'm curious as I'm living in Austria so not sure what the various "normal" approaches could be for this. The chappy here seemed to say no hearing aids needed but my googling makes me think that is unlikely. Googling also suggests that "an operation" is unlikely too- they surely won't do both ears at the same time? Will I be able to fly soon after? I have to travel for work so this is going to be quite tedious.
I'm about the same level of hearing loss on the charts for both ears. It is between moderate and severe somewhere.

littlemisssarcastic Sat 22-Feb-14 13:23:52

Probably not a lot of help and someone else will come along soon with more useful information but I have otosclerosis in both ears. I had a stapedectomy operation on one ear in 1988 and have never looked back.
I don't know what the prognosis is for the operation now but I don't wear a hearing aid in either ear.
The ear I've had operated on I don't need a hearing aid and the other ear I have a hearing aid for but don't use it as I find it uncomfortable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now