Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Nervous about another small bowel obstruction

(7 Posts)
LovelyBath Thu 20-Feb-14 14:45:33

I have had several of these and am scared about another one. The last op was about a year ago. they removed a metre of it and since then (touch wood) things have been improved. I was told all the adhesions had been taken down too, although I know they mostly return.

It's hard as there's nothing I can do to stop it happening again. It makes me anxious. I try hard not to think back as to how awful it has been but instead try to look forward. I have a plan in place with my surgeon (basically to go to the hospital for tests if it happens again) and apart from that I just need to get over worries about things like the NG tube (nasty) and for that I'm going to try a course in anxiety management. Oh, also just to try and stay ftr and healthy in case of needing further surgery.

Have been told it might well be tricky for further surgeries due to the adhesions and to be prepared for emergency open surgery again sad. Am trying to focus on how great it is they can, fix me up (hopefully) if it happens again and that it is possible to heal...it is just such a traumatic thing.

If anyone else is in the same boat I'd like to hear from you, if it kept happening and ways of dealing with it. many thanks

chocoluvva Thu 20-Feb-14 23:54:53

Oh poor you.

I've had two 'episodes' of adhesions being troublesome after surgery,involving the top part of my colon and small bowel, so I know how horribly painful and unpleasant it is. The NG tube is so grim.

Have you heard of a massage technique aimed at breaking down scar tissue? I'm really sorry I can't remember the exact name, but it might be worth googling.

I think a year without too many problems is very encouraging. They will hopefully not come back now.

LovelyBath Fri 21-Feb-14 10:27:40

Hi thanks Chocoluvva smile

Yes the NG tube is very grim especially the way they tape it to your nose to stop it coming back up bleaurgh..

I have heard of that massage technique, I think it is in USA and called Clear Passages. I'm a bit cynical though as to how it could break down adhesions.

I have found a Pilates course which seems helpful.

chocoluvva Fri 21-Feb-14 10:54:07

Oh well done with your Pilates.

Sorry I haven't been any help. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along today.

LovelyBath Sat 22-Feb-14 10:25:45

That's Ok I'm glad yours didn't cause any long lasting problems.

chocoluvva Mon 24-Feb-14 10:00:45

Have you heard of 'Serrapeptase'? Might be worth googling. Worth a try?

LovelyBath Tue 25-Feb-14 18:02:53

Hi thanks I have had a look x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now