Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lidocaine for chickenpox itch?

(7 Posts)
schroedingersdodo Thu 20-Feb-14 10:30:23

DS1 has chickenpox and obviously the spots are itchy. He's having antihistamine and topical creams. But it just occurred to me an obvious solution is to use lidocaine cream to numb the itch.

Since Bonjela is a lidocaine cream and is applied on the mouths of very small babies, I reasoned it wouldn't be risky for a 3.5yo.

Am I wrong? Please, can someone tell me if it is a good idea? I bought Germoloid, that has no alcohol (the alcohol in Bonjela makes the spots sting). It seems to be the perfect solution, but maybe I'm missing something...

Thanks!

Boltonlass1972 Thu 20-Feb-14 10:33:31

We found calamine cream useful rather the lotion which dries and gets itchy

cardamomginger Thu 20-Feb-14 14:01:00

I used solarcaine spray, which has lidocaine in it, when I had chickenpox as an adult. It was the only thing that took the itch off enough to enable me to sleep.

schroedingersdodo Thu 20-Feb-14 16:08:44

Bolton I was looking for something stronger than calamine... Cardamomginger, good to know I was not the only one to have this idea. And good to know it worked!

Boltonlass1972 Thu 20-Feb-14 16:38:59

Ah ok, glad you got a solution x

HarrietSchulenberg Thu 20-Feb-14 17:02:18

My lovely friend, who is also a midwife, told me about bonjela for chicken pox once. Worked well on my spotty toddlers at the time.

NewName123 Thu 20-Feb-14 17:19:40

just be aware that lidocaine can be absorbed through the skin in to the blood stream, if enough is applied this can cause systemic effects especially in a child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now