Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Eeek - no more hormonal contraceptives available to me.

(7 Posts)
2kidsintow Wed 19-Feb-14 22:15:00

Can't take combined pill as I have migraines with auras.
Can't take my progesterone only ones as I'm now on a medicine that makes them ineffective

First time since I was 18 that I'm not taking a pill (apart from when trying to conceive my 2 lovely DDs).

No idea when everything will get back to normal - or even what 'normal' for me is.
Stepping into the unknown.

AndMiffyWentToSleep Thu 20-Feb-14 07:50:53

Have you considered the mirena? May stop periods altogether or lighten them - it's awesome! And ok if you have migraines.

2kidsintow Thu 20-Feb-14 18:16:38

Gut reaction to the coil for me = ew. No idea why.
And it's progesterone only. The progesterone only pill I was on gave me terrible acne.

I am weirdly looking forward to a break from anything hormonal now I've got my head round it. Bought DH a couple of boxes of condoms as part of his Valentines present. smile

expatinscotland Thu 20-Feb-14 18:18:08

Mirena is progesterone and hormonal.

expatinscotland Thu 20-Feb-14 18:18:55

People will try to feed you a line, too, that the Mirena is so low-dose, it won't give you acne. Bullshit.

itsbetterthanabox Thu 20-Feb-14 18:48:36

You can use the copper coil. Or what's wrong with condoms?

2kidsintow Fri 21-Feb-14 20:13:36

Nothing wrong with condoms. Prefer them to the idea of a coil. Just take some getting used to after 20 odd years of being on the pill. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now