Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

TVT operation

(10 Posts)
spritzer1 Wed 19-Feb-14 13:15:16

Hello I hope someone can help with my query - new to Mumsnet so probably will nor understand all the acronyms! I am 54 and due to have a TVT in 3 weeks as day surgery with a GA. I am a self employed Fitness Instructor and single parent so need to do a twice daily school run etc. We also have 3 horses in at night at the moment so mucking out daily. Every medical professional I've asked has given me a different answer re recovery time from a few days to 12 weeks! I am now officially panicking. The stress incontinence is not bad judging by some reports but is making working life difficult and I'm not riding at the moment (unpredictable spooking not good!) I can't afford to be off work for a long time and was also told that I may come home with a catheter - yikes! Not a good look in the gym. Can anybody give me some feedback re recovery? I have no other issues and am very fit and well at the moment. Thank you!

ilovesprouts Wed 19-Feb-14 19:22:28

cant help you but im hoping to have the same thing done my bladder is naffed so is my pelvic floor due to accident .

johnnycastle Wed 19-Feb-14 19:33:26

I had this done 4 years ago, best thing I ever did. It's totally transformed my life. I was off work for 6 weeks afterwards and felt pretty sore for most of that time. Another friend has had TVT too (same surgeon, but privately) and recovered more quickly, I think recovery time varies.

spritzer1 Wed 19-Feb-14 22:39:09

I'll let you know how I get on!

spritzer1 Wed 19-Feb-14 22:44:58

johnnycastle - thank you for that - have since spoken to colleague who had same op and she said recovery 2 weeks for her and it also transformed her life smile I am still very nervous about it but have put it off once already and think I just have to go for it.
Anyone out there who has had it done and has horses please let me know if you managed the mucking out etc OK as this is really worrying me - will need to call in some big favours to get everything covered while I am off

cardamomginger Thu 20-Feb-14 14:06:03

don't underestimate your recovery time. you may be fine for puttering and driving, etc after 3 weeks or so. but more vigorous things, such as mucking out, may take a lot longer. I certainly wouldn't do anything like that for 6 weeks, even if your pain levels are ok, because you need that long for things to have a chance to heal. take it as easy as you can for as long as you can, and call in all the favours for help that you can. I've not had tvt, but have had 3 other gynae ops.

spritzer1 Fri 21-Feb-14 08:02:55

cardamonginger - thank you for the response. I so don't do sitting around and am trying to get my head round it all! I am hoping that underlying fitness level will make recovery fairly straightforward but it's the not knowing how I'll feel that is tricky. Getting work covered is a major task and I have no family nearby to pick up the slack. I guess as you say I'll just have to try and call in some major favours and be sensible for once in my life!

Whitegrenache Fri 21-Feb-14 08:06:34

Not TVT related.., but I had a huge episiotomy and an infection which was grim. however I was riding my horse within 6 weeks post birth.
I believe TVT is minimally invasive so you should not have too many incisions and most is done vaginally I think. Hope that helps on a Teeny way!! Good luck

cardamomginger Fri 21-Feb-14 13:16:11

don't underestimate that vaginal surgery can still take a long time to recover from. I think vaginal surgery is often inaccurately presented as easier and quicker to recover from. incisions in that areas have their own unique potential problems, and it can still be quite a big deal. the fact that the incision is hidden sometimes isn't that helpful, as a visible reminder that you have had surgery to yourself and to others can be helpful!

spritzer1 Fri 21-Feb-14 20:10:30

Thanks everyone - any anecdotel (not sure that's spelt right!)stuff very welcome. Had laparoscopy and D&C and bounced back from them super quickly so hoping for much the same this time. The 15 year old has been told she's on major mucking out duty! I will restrict myself to bringing in and filling up the odd bucket - and supervising in a helpful way of course smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now