Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Post gallbladder removal pain- consultant 2moro: advice please?

(7 Posts)
Runwayqueen Tue 18-Feb-14 21:12:54

Thank you in advance for reading and apologies for the typos.

In August last year I had my gallbladder removed. Surgery was lap col, but surgeon explained it was difficult due to pre existing scar tissue and certain 'things' not being where they expected (surgeons words, liver and ducts aparantly?!?). Following surgery all wounds became infected and were packed daily for sometime.

Anyhow, I still suffer from attacks of gallbladder like pain, same location, intensity, only no gallbladder. I suffer from chronic diarrhea too, although has improved slightly by going fat free. The 'attacks' are still happening though. Oramorph and codeine make it worse, and I'm too frightened to try my tramadol incase it makes it worse. Blood tests show nothing out the ordinary, however we've never caught my bloods during an 'attack' or the following days as I've never presented. I'm seeing my consultant tomorrow and I'm at a loss as to how to get him to take it seriously, he sent me back to my gp last time I saw him saying it was just a case of pain management as my bloods were fine. Gp still believes things are not fine and has referred me back to him.

I really need him to take me seriously, it's having such a detrimental affect on my family life. The attacks are not as frequent, but when they do occur the intensity of the pain is higher and they last longer.

Any thoughts on being prepared?
Thank you

Badvoc Tue 18-Feb-14 21:21:08

Google post cholestectomy syndrome op.
Sorry your consultant is such an idiot.

Runwayqueen Tue 18-Feb-14 21:24:56

Thank you badvoc. So far avoided google but will take a look

MoreBeta Tue 18-Feb-14 21:26:33

You can have a stone still stuck in duct. Hence have 'gall bladder symptoms'. You may have a pancreatic issue that also produces the classic gall bladder pain. That all needs checking by scans.

I had my gall bladder out and suffered severe indigestion type pain ever after. Not sure why.

I stopped eating in the evenings and take Gaviscon to keep my acid down. Moderate alcohol. Keep off fatty foods, curry and certain things I know trigger my problems.

I also went on a gluten free diet and drink lactofree milk and that is because I discovered I have a severe gluten intolerance and lactose intolerance.

Runwayqueen Tue 18-Feb-14 21:39:30

Thank you morebeta. I've gone completely low fat, I don't drink as in the past it's brought on pain. Gp didn't think I should reduce anything else for now as she wanted consultant to make choices. I'll bear in mind that he may suggest it tomorrow

Runwayqueen Thu 20-Feb-14 10:34:38

Well it went better than I thought it would, he seemed to listen this time, although I stupidly forgot to mention some key things. I'm to have an MRI and endoscopy next month. Also going to be checked for cealliacs

Matildathecat Thu 20-Feb-14 11:15:47

When seeing the doctors do write a list of key points. It's so annoying to remember later. It also means they don't have an accurate picture.

Lists are good. Really hope you feel better soon. Sounds miserable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now