Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Family history of breast/ovarian cancer & screening

(9 Posts)
Stockhausen Tue 18-Feb-14 12:34:21

Back story... maternal aunt survived breast cancer in her 30's, mum died from ovarian cancer in her 40's.

Family history is sketchy, maternal grandmother died in her 30's from heart disease/attack & we're all estranged/adopted etc.

I'm now in my 30's, one child.

I'm terrified.

Would my GP take me seriously? Ideally, I'd like my ovaries removed. Instead of the ticking time bomb I worry is inside me.

WildThong Tue 18-Feb-14 12:44:00

Yes, speak to your GP. I get screened yearly after losing my sister because of a late diagnosis of ovarian cancer. You are still quite young to get your ovaries removed but that's a big decision for you. I'm holding on to mine for now (I'm 50) but I am not ruling that out in the future.
The yearly blood test and ovarian scan are not too intrusive or painful btw.

KarenHL Tue 18-Feb-14 12:54:13

I think the approach might Be different In each Health auth.

My mother, her mother, and her mother died of cancer. We know my mother's was ovarian. I was referred to a genetic counsellor. My mother's old samples were tested for BRCA genes and nothing showed up so I was told not To worry. I can Hgave early breast screening, but that won't Be for a few more years.

I did have the annual (ovarian) CA125 blood Test until the genetics Team said it was pointless without a scan too. My GP took that To mean I need no screening so I don't even have That now.

I too, would like to talk about ovary removal but don't believe my current GP will take it seriously.

WildThong Tue 18-Feb-14 13:11:01

karen that's no good! Sorry I thought it was a national policy <dumb>
Would you not get the scan and blood test if you specifically requested them?
I didn't even need to ask, I needed a doctors line for bereavement leave from work and when I told the GP the circumstances she just set all the wheels in motion automatically. NHS at its best.

Stockhausen Tue 18-Feb-14 13:14:53

Thanks so much thanks

I hadn't even thought about bloods/scans to keep an eye on things...

I was thinking more genetic screening, which probably wouldn't be as useful!

trader21c Sun 02-Mar-14 19:17:45

I've had ovarian screening every year because of a family history ... this year the GP questioned it and asked me to bring in the letter from the genetic counselling lot who had recommended it yearly. Luckily I still have the letter which recommends the screening but had to be a bit pushy. I will carry on being so ... as obviously it makes sense to be screened if there is a family risk ... NHS cutbacks at work????

Focusingkingqueen Sun 02-Mar-14 19:43:10

Your GP should take you seriously. Do you have any Ashkenazi jewish heritage that you are aware of, either on the maternal or maternal side? If so you are automatically eligible for BRCA testing. Of not then discuss with your GP and see if they will refer you.

callow Sun 02-Mar-14 22:45:32

You can use this online checker to give a rough idea of your risk.

www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Causesriskfactors/Genetics/OPERA.aspx

Stockhausen Mon 03-Mar-14 10:28:37

The opera test says there may be faulty gene, my mum had ovarian cancer & my maternal aunt had breast cancer, both diagnosed before 40.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now