Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How bad is out of date Fenatyl?

(4 Posts)
FluffySocksAndMarshmallows Tue 18-Feb-14 12:03:42

I use Fenatyl patches.

I've just noticed that the one I put on yesterday is out of date (Sept last year). The whole box is.

I've asked my GP for more, but I've switched GP's in the meantime and they want an appointment with me first. I'm presuming that they aren't happy prescribing it, but regardless, I can't get an appointment today.

I won't be able to cope well with it off. Does anyone know if it'll do any harm?

FannyFifer Tue 18-Feb-14 12:05:43

Wouldn't do harm but it's likely that it's not quite as effective.

FluffySocksAndMarshmallows Tue 18-Feb-14 12:07:54

Thanks Fifer.

I can always double up, I guess. Just don't want to be without it entirely!

Weegiemum Tue 18-Feb-14 12:15:23

Out of date won't harm you I reckon, but might not be quite as effective (I used fentanyl patches or 2 years for chronic kidney stones). I'd be careful doubling up though - you don't want to overdose !!

Your new GP is following best practice, though. Fentanyl is a Controlled drug with lots of restrictions about prescribing and my dh (he's a GP) would never prescribe it to a new patient without a consultation. It's to protect the GP from complaints but mainly to check the patient isn't an addict/dealer or doesn't need this level of medication. Fentanyl patches can be opened and injected (dangerously) so checks are necessary!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now