Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Piles....I'm in agony

(14 Posts)
pantsjustpants Mon 17-Feb-14 21:39:11

I've had piles for years... Eldest dc is 24, and my youngest is 2. Yes they've been bothersome on occasion, but I've been in absolute agony since yesterday. They weren't even particularly bad, but one has popped out and won't go back in. It's so sore and painful. Sitting hurts, lying hurts... I just can't get comfy. Cream relieves it for 5 minutes, paracetamol just takes the edge off for a couple of hours.

Does anybody have any recommendations please? Or a clue as to what's happened?u

princessalbert Mon 17-Feb-14 21:42:54

I think they can get thrombosed. Is it really painful? Or just uncomfortable?

Get to the GP tomorrow - no point in suffering. It may be that you can have some cream which is on prescription only. I have Scheriproct - Xlyoproct is good too. They contain a small amount of local anaesthetic (apparently).

Creams didn't do it for me unfortunately and I have had surgery, and am scheduled for more.

But don't suffer.

princessalbert Mon 17-Feb-14 21:44:34

piles

Warning- graphic photos.

Tommy Mon 17-Feb-14 21:45:19

Anusol suppositories followed by a cream with a local anaesthetic (Germaloids or something like that)
grim aren't they? sad

CaisleanDraiochta Mon 17-Feb-14 21:51:36

It sounds like one has got thrombosed to me. I've had this and it is agony until it bursts, then I get instant relief.

Until then have you tried an ice pack. It won't stop the pain completely but I find it helps to numb the area a little. I recommend using something like frozen peas or sweet corn decanted into a sandwich bag. That way you can mold it to fit the affected area perfectly grin

stripes1 Mon 17-Feb-14 21:53:51

I second a visit to the GP for the cream with anaesthetic in it, I was prescribed this a few days after DS1 was born and the difference it made was amazing!

MrsKent Mon 17-Feb-14 21:56:00

Ice whilst you watt yo ser gp. Wrap ice in a towel and place it on the piles for 10 minutes.

pantsjustpants Tue 18-Feb-14 06:28:39

Thanks everyone. What a painful night that was, just couldn't get comfortable. The cream seems useless!

I'll definitely get to the doctor today. I'm on the last few days of a daily exercise course, gutted to miss it this morning but it just hurts too much. Fed up sad.

pantsjustpants Tue 18-Feb-14 18:43:09

I have a thrombosed pile.... Got some cream with local anaesthetic and steroids, I hope it works!

princessalbert Tue 18-Feb-14 19:02:25

Did the GP say how soon it should ease?

If it is unbearable, really painful - then I have heard of people who have had to go to A&E for it treating.

Hope you soon feel better.

pantsjustpants Tue 18-Feb-14 19:51:31

She said anything less than 2-3 weeks will be a bonus! I'm coping, thanks. Feel quite tearful though, not like me.

YellowDinosaur Tue 18-Feb-14 20:30:01

Feet up, sit on a bag of frozen peas / similar, painkillers such as paracetamol / ibuprofen / whatever you'd usually take and use the anaesthetic cream as much as you can. It will be painful but will get better given a bit of time... (doctor here)

pantsjustpants Tue 18-Feb-14 21:15:49

Thanks Yellow, all advice is very gratefully received.

sausagefortea Tue 18-Feb-14 21:41:26

Is it protosedyl cream? I've had piles and once a thrombosed one which was very painful. See how you go with the cream, but I found the protosedyl suppositories really, really helped rather than the cream.

You could also try a sitz bath - sit in a bath of warm or cool water (just enough to cover bottom!) either in its own or with baking soda or salt.

Maybe try ibuprofen instead of (or in conjunction with) paracetamol as that's meant to relieve inflammation which I guess is a big part of the problem with piles?

Hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now