Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Why are my fingers going numb?

(12 Posts)
mckenzie Mon 17-Feb-14 20:53:35

Sometimes, it used to be very occasionally but recently it's about twice a week, my index and middle fingers go bright white and numb and cold from the tips to about half way down. Sometimes it happens on the left hand and sometimes on the right. It doesn't hurt but it just feels very cold and uncomfortable.

Any ideas please what can be causing this.
TIA

CoteDAzur Mon 17-Feb-14 20:55:14

"White, cold, and numb" sounds like a circulation problem.

Does anything similar happen to your toes?

santasballsackisnolonger Mon 17-Feb-14 20:56:17

Google "raynauds" sounds like what I have

WhoNickedMyName Mon 17-Feb-14 20:57:13

Sounds like reynauds syndrome to me.

EvilTwins Mon 17-Feb-14 20:57:45

Reynaulds. I have it too. Irritating but not uncommon. You can get drugs for it if it becomes a problem. I just wear gloves a lot and run my hands under warm water if it gets bad.

mckenzie Mon 17-Feb-14 21:02:53

Thanks for all the replies.
Sometimes a toe goes 'askew' if that makes sense, a little like cramp but the toe sticks out at a funny angle and I can't straighten it. I'm not sure if it's cold though.
I'll google Raynauds.

NigelMolesworth Mon 17-Feb-14 21:04:29

Does sound like Raynauds. Might be worth chatting to your GP about this. I wrote a post very similar to yours about a year ago. Another poster advised me to see the GP. I'm glad I did as the blood test uncovered an underlying issue which may prove to be serious further down the line. Not that I want to worry you...

mckenzie Mon 17-Feb-14 21:04:51

Looking at the photo on the NHS website, I'd say for sure that is it. The fingers shown look exactly like mine look.
Thanks guys. So much quicker than a doctors appointment grin

sittingbythepoolwithenzo Mon 17-Feb-14 21:05:15

Yes, Raynauds. Bit of a nuisance, mine is worse when it's damp for some reason.

I carry a hot water bottle around at work, and in the car. Cod liver oil capsules seem to help too.

mckenzie Mon 17-Feb-14 21:10:53

Sorry NigelMolesworth, I crossed with your post. I hope you are ok. I'm due at doctors in next month or so for an asthma check up so I'll mention it then.

NigelMolesworth Mon 17-Feb-14 21:26:23

No I'm fine thanks! My Raynauds is a pain(literally) but manageable. All my friends who I cycle with are always laughing at the various layers of gloves and socks I have ongrin. I found it is sudden changes of temperature and vibration from cold steering wheels that are a particular trigger. Keeping hands and feet warm particularly wrists and ankles helps me. As for the other issue, it's only a possible issue much further down the line. Too many other things to worry about before that one gets to the top of the list!

Weegiemum Mon 17-Feb-14 21:32:55

Sounds. Very much like Raynauds which is strongly linked to Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Might be worth getting a referral - I thought my increasingly numb toes were also Raynauds but it turned out to be a rarer but treatable neuro illness. I'd speak to your GP or nurse if I was you. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now