Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

is there anything I can do about my c-section scar?

(8 Posts)
Saucia Mon 17-Feb-14 20:23:37

I had a section 8 months ago and it has healed well, but the scar is very thick and raised. I’m not concerned about the appearance but it’s very tight and uncomfortable and pulls. It’s also incredibly sensitive meaning it itches all the time. Will it settle down in time or are there any magic creams to make it more comfortable?

GoodnessKnows Mon 17-Feb-14 21:38:55

My health food shop person recommended Triology organic rosehip oil
I was sceptical
He said it was better than bio oil on scars
It's been incredible on mine. I started using it 2 weeks post op

blueshoes Mon 17-Feb-14 22:16:50

Did you have an emcs?

My scar after my emcs (actually it was a crash cs) healed red, thick and raised too and I could not do anything about it. All oils were useless.

For my second dc, I elected for a cs and asked the surgeon to cut away the scar and sew it such that it would heal better. The lovely surgeon (female) took great care to stitch me back up and now I have a lovely thin scar.

I am convinced the first surgeon (male) was a butcher.

NotBrittaPieHonest Mon 17-Feb-14 22:23:01

My emcs was nearly 7 years ago now, the surgeon who did dd2 (4 and a bit years ago) said she had to sort out a lot of internal scarring (DD1s birth was a bit of a horrorshow, with a type of section that the doctors I saw when pg with dd2 refused to beleive had happened until they read my notes)

Anyway, I still get twinges now, and it's tight, but at least now I have feeling back.

But then I've not done anything, cos I can only just bear to touch it.

CMOTDibbler Tue 18-Feb-14 07:56:14

Go to your gp and ask about treating it. I had a very raised, itchy, red scar (not CS) and the dermatologist prescribed kelocote gel, Haelen tape (which has steroid in it), and it made a huge difference

Saucia Tue 18-Feb-14 14:59:26

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ve tried bio oil which didn’t make any difference, I’ll see my GP and in the meantime will have a look for rosehip oil.

It wasn’t an EMCS as such, but was unplanned, failed induction with pre eclampsia so went for the CS. The scar is a bit wonky and looks like there were two cuts rather than one smooth line so possibly a bit of a heavy handed surgeon!

GoodnessKnows Wed 19-Feb-14 21:13:24

;( re cock-handed surgeon
Trilogy organic rosehip oil.

InPursuitOfOblivion Wed 19-Feb-14 21:19:26

Silicon scar sheets worked for me. Pricey but worth every penny IMO

Lillypadz do one specifically for CS scars

www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/sp+lily-c-caesarean-section-scar-therapy-in-maternity-skin-care+b9649

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now