Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any dentists on here please?

(23 Posts)
Slightlyneuroricnat Mon 17-Feb-14 16:44:34

I've had 2 different antibiotics prescribed, one by a doctor yesterday ( augmentin ) and another one ( metrodinizole ) by the dentist today.
It's to treat dry socket although the abscess that lead to me extracting the tooth "may" respond the dentist said now that the tooths gone.
Can't take any until tonight as he's put an antiseptic in but no idea which is more effective?

FannyFifer Mon 17-Feb-14 16:53:30

Would prob go with what dentist prescribed.

Guitargirl Mon 17-Feb-14 17:00:57

I am not a dentist.

I have just finished a course of metronidazole for what was called by my dentist a 'whopping infection' in the gum. It was very painful. I was prescribed a 5 day course and it didn't start to feel better until day 6. I went back to the dentist this morning and he said sometimes it does take the whole course before it starts to have an effect.

Extraction of the tooth which led to the infection is happening tomorrow.

I have tried all manner of painkillers in the last few weeks and the only ones that have eased the pain were ibuprofen mixed with codeine.

Hope you feel better soon, pain in the face is just aarrrrggghh.

Slightlyneuroricnat Mon 17-Feb-14 17:36:24

I was on amoxillian, metro and pencillin over the last 8 weeks and nothing reduced the absess hence why I had it out.
Had to be under sedation as they couldn't numb the area enough for me to be awake.

GeordieJellybean Mon 17-Feb-14 17:43:44

Not a dentist but I had dry socket after having a wisdom tooth removed, you have my sympathies, it's very painful!
I was given a course of metronidazole which whilst unpleasant certainly did the job. I'd be inclined to trust the dentist on this one.

Slightlyneuroricnat Mon 17-Feb-14 18:14:56

Thankyou Geordie,
Just hesitant as the metro didn't work before but maybe because the tooth was still there so couldn't clear up.
Never heard of this other one that the doc gave!
The pain is horrendous much worse than the abscess pain I had before it was removed!!! sad

Willabywallaby Mon 17-Feb-14 18:44:44

Metronidazole is best for a dry socket

Slightlyneuroricnat Mon 17-Feb-14 18:59:29

Thankyou
Will start them now

Guitargirl Mon 17-Feb-14 19:07:45

Geordie - when you say it wasn't pleasant, what do you mean? I am asking because I have been feeling very fuzzy-headed for the last week and am wondering whether it's the antibiotics...

Preciousbane Mon 17-Feb-14 19:11:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Guitargirl Mon 17-Feb-14 19:15:55

No, I haven't drank any alcohol but still feel rubbish. I finished them on Saturday morning and was hoping I would be feeling ok by now. Anyway, don't want to hijack your thread OP - hope you feel better soon.

bonzo77 Mon 17-Feb-14 19:16:25

Dentist here, but on phone while feeding so will be brief.

Metro definitely. Dry socket is a very specific kind of infection. Has little to do with the prior infection. Also alternate paracetamol and ibuprofen at 4hr ly intervals. Do not rinse or spit. Do not smoke (though if you are a current smoker the blood supply is already damaged and healing compromised). These take ages (weeks) to get fully right, but should be tolerable in a few days.

Has the socket been scraped and flushed?

bonzo77 Mon 17-Feb-14 19:18:55

Oh, metro + booze = nausea / vomiting in nearly everyone. But not always. Even without alcohol you can feel a bit rough, though that might be the infection. This is not an allergy. Continue to take them. Finish the course. What dose r u on?

Slightlyneuroricnat Mon 17-Feb-14 20:42:16

He didn't scrape or flush it, said it looked as if healing, which is true as didn't look as bad as what it did the weekend so apparently heals on its own if left, this just helps the process?
Was told to go back Wednesday if pain still bad and they will redo if again.
Other than that it will just run its course apparently, I'm just concerned the abscess is still there as I've had it for over 2 months.
I also keep coming up in a rash which comes and goes ( this is why i went to the hospital yesterday and they weren't concerned as said def not septic ) but I was diagnosed with scarlet fever a few weeks ago as my kids had it ( no swab they just treated it as it was and was on penicillin ) so don't know if it's related to this or what.
Terrible fuzzy headache and just don't feel well at all.
Should this thing fall out on its own? As its still there after dinner and teeth brushing

Slightlyneuroricnat Mon 17-Feb-14 20:42:50

Metro is 400mg once 3 times a day for 10 days

bonzo77 Mon 17-Feb-14 22:57:51

Sounds like the treatment you've been given is appropriate. 10 days is longer than I'd give, but 400mg is correct. Personally I always scrape and flush if I'm sure it's a dry socket. Yes, leave the dressing in place. I know it tastes foul but it's keeping debris out, consolidating any clot and providing some pain relief. It will fall out when it's ready, or the dentist will replace it if you need to go back. When you brush do not rinse after (you shouldn't anyway), and just gently dribble out the excess paste, don't spur vigorously.

bonzo77 Mon 17-Feb-14 23:00:10

Not sure about the rash, sounds like you've got a lot going on at the moment. If it comes and goes its unlikely to be related to the antibiotics. It's common to get a non- specific rash with fever or a viral infection, or it could be totally unrelated, like washing powder!

GeordieJellybean Mon 17-Feb-14 23:30:20

Guitargirl - I had a weird queasy feeling when taking it (didn't touch alcohol as advised). It was a few years ago now so can't remember how long the feeling lasted for but I know I felt quite run down with it.

differentnameforthis Tue 18-Feb-14 00:49:48

If they are both for the same thing, I would go with Metro, but rally you would need to check with your dentist. Did you tell him/her that you already had a script from the gp?

Avoid alcohol with the met.

giraffesCantBoogie Tue 18-Feb-14 00:54:12

Hope you feel better soon. Am having tooth issues too.

Slightlyneuroricnat Tue 18-Feb-14 07:52:04

Bonzo,
I wasn't on the antibiotics when the rash first came up so can't be from that! God knows but clearly not serious as I'm still here!
My headache is awful but I'm guessing that referred pain combined with not sleeping well.
When you say I shouldn't be rinsing anyway, am I not meant to be doing these salt water rinses 4 times a day??
That's probably what caused the socket not to close over but that's what the dentist advised me to do the day after the extraction.
This thing hasn't fallen out yet! I'm not planning to go back to the dentist until Thursday will it be okay in there until then if it doesn't fall out on its own?
On a good note the abscess has def reduced in size some the extraction, it didn't feel like it had at all yesterday but maybe that was swelling rather than the abscess as This morning you can see no swelling on the outside of my jaw!

bonzo77 Tue 18-Feb-14 12:35:23

Yes. Dressing can stay till Thursday.
IME excessive rinsing can increase the risk of a dry socket. It rinsed away the clot which is needed to allow healing. That's why I tend to scrape out dry sockets, to encourage fresh bleeding and a new clot (and to remove any infected tissue). I normally say rinse 2x a day starting 24hrs after the extraction. Interestingly I now mostly work with elderly people with dementia, who cannot cooperate with rinsing. So I don't advise it. Not had a case of dry socket in years.

It's hard to advise on your rash. Keep an eye on it and if you have swelling of your lips, tongue, throat or face seek urgent help. Otherwise, see your gp.

Slightlyneuroricnat Tue 18-Feb-14 17:03:49

The pain eased up for a while but is now back so called the dentist who said to come in tomorrow for a new dressing to be put in.
I completely see your point with rinsing, I did wonder but went on the dentists advice and didn't do it until it had been 24 hrs since the extraction.
Apparently more common in smokers and I've never smoked anything in my life!
Literally is more painful than the abscess I had before, awful throbbing continuous pain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now