Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dental abscess with a vengeance even after extraction

(8 Posts)
Slightlyneuroricnat Mon 17-Feb-14 10:04:45

Please offer some advice
I had a tooth out last week Wednesday after being on antibiotics for 8 weeks in the hope the abscess would reduce.
2 failed root canals later and the tooth is out.
The pain has got worse and worse since Wednesday and whilst I obviously expected some sort of pain, this is the worst pain I've ever felt.
It's not the hole itself, it's the gum where the big swollen abscess is still there.
What more can I / anyone do?
I feel so unwell, headaches, chills, no fever but finding it hard to function

somewheresomehow Mon 17-Feb-14 15:42:59

God I really feel for you, I had a little abscess and that was bad enough
It sounds like you have a major infection in the gum, I should go back to your dentist asap and/or doctors as well.
I don't recommend oil of cloves though it is the most vile stuff ever sad
Have you got a dental hospital near you ? maybe they would be able to do something better than the dentist

Slightlyneuroricnat Mon 17-Feb-14 16:27:30

Have been to a&e last night, they gave co codamol which didn't touch it, seen the dentist today and it's a dry socket sad

somewheresomehow Mon 17-Feb-14 19:44:25

I found co-codamol did'nt help, try asprin or max strength ibuprofen, it will hopefully take the edge off a bit. also warm salty water rinsed around the mouth should help it heal

2kidsintow Mon 17-Feb-14 19:48:25

Did they treat your dry socket, OP Have you had any relief?

Slightlyneuroricnat Mon 17-Feb-14 20:13:27

They've out a clove solution thing in it, said it will fall out by tomorrow and if the pain hasn't subsided by Wednesday to go back and have it done again.
He's given me metrodinizole ( though had this before before the extraction and it made no difference to he abscess )
Co codamol still isn't doing anything for the pain but have an awful headache and feel a little dizzy, not sure if that's the pain or the painkillers doing it.
Also have a rash that keeps coming up and going hence the a&e trip last night but they wasn't concerned

2kidsintow Mon 17-Feb-14 20:19:32

Co-codamol knocks me for 6 and makes me queasy, so the dizziness could be that. Perhaps try some ibuprofen or aspirin due to their anti inflammatory properties as well as being pain killers.

Hopefully the clove stuff will help.

Slightlyneuroricnat Mon 17-Feb-14 20:45:29

Haven't taken anymore co codamol as worried about the dizziness.
The headache is terrible although I don't know if thats just referred pain.
Just worried complications could occur as this abscess has been there for such a long time and now this dry socket on top.
I had scarlet fever a few weeks back too and have had a rash on and off since yesterday hence the hoosital run but they weren't concerned

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now