Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

So so nervous

(5 Posts)
llwynogbach Sun 16-Feb-14 22:31:53

I'm going in for day surgery on Wednesday for an orthodontic procedure. They're going to cut into my gums to bond chains to tge teeth that are stuck in my gums/ jaw (after removing the milk teeth I still have) I am utterly petrified, has anyone else got experience of this procedure? How much will it hurt? To be honest my main fear is the general anethestic, I have a huge phobia of vomiting so I am so scared about waking up and being ill, does it happen often and can they prevent it happening completely?

Elderberri Sun 16-Feb-14 22:58:16

My friends little girl just had this done. She was fine. Sore mouth, groggy but fine.

It won't hurt at all with a GA. You won't feel a thing.

Jaisalmer Sun 16-Feb-14 23:05:11

Tell them about the sickness fear you will be given anti-nausea medication anyhow.

I've had a few GA's and was as terrified as you the first time but honestly recently had my 4th one and was only mildly concerned (fairly normal I would say?).

I try and relax and just enjoy the euphoric feeling when you come around! You will be very well looked after, loads of staff and monitored constantly.

Good luck and do talk it through with the staff beforehand. You will meet the anaesthetist the morning of your procedure. They are usually the most laid back bods on earth smile.

Lauren83 Sun 16-Feb-14 23:56:40

I have emetophobia too and haven't been sick for 21 years, I had my first surgery last year and was so scared about the breathing tube and being sick when I come round, they were great when I told them and put a note in my notes to give me lots of anti sickness injections which they did and I felt fine x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now