Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Father needs a hearing aid

(23 Posts)
1805 Sun 16-Feb-14 18:38:13

He is in denial. Big time. He is quite clearly going deaf (77yrs old).
He does not want a hearing aid as they "feel uncomfortable". He has never - to my mums knowledge - tried one.
How can I persuade him? Any ideas?

Cleanthatroomnow Sun 16-Feb-14 18:56:03

I wear one and I'm 30 years younger than him. Can recommend Boots. They are tiny now and I honestly forget I have it in my ear.

1805 Sun 16-Feb-14 19:15:53

Can you just walk in to Boots? I'm here visiting until tuesday…..

KepekCrumbs Sun 16-Feb-14 19:18:53

They are uncomfortable when you're not used to them. And they amplify things you haven't heard for years a d don't need to hear, but you brain races ahead of itself and processes everything to the nth degree, because that's what it's had to do for years.

They are HORRID at the beginning. You just have to persevere, hopefully with the loving support of your family.

SauvignonBlanche Sun 16-Feb-14 19:20:26

You could call them on this number in the morning.
Private aids aren't cheap though. Mine cost a fortune!

Cleanthatroomnow Sun 16-Feb-14 19:27:55

I would phone first thing and see if they can fit you in. He'll need an appointment. Be warned, going the private route is expensive--mine was close to £2000. I would not say mine is horrid. To me it's a foreign object no worse than glasses. GP can refer via the NHS for free AFAIK.

1805 Sun 16-Feb-14 19:35:11

OMG - £2000!!!
OK, he'll have to go NHS. Glad I was warned!!!
The thing is, he doesn't want one. He thinks he is fine. However, as well as being v v v annoying, we worry that he can't hear important announcements/warnings as well as missing out on conversations with his grandchildren!!

SauvignonBlanche Sun 16-Feb-14 19:41:36

I'm assuming the £2k was just for one? I've just spent £3700.
NHS ones are free.

colafrosties Sun 16-Feb-14 19:45:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cleanthatroomnow Sun 16-Feb-14 19:47:59

Yes, £2000 for one. My lovely DM paid half for me. My FIL resisted getting help for years and now can't believe the difference in his hearing with aids.

colafrosties Sun 16-Feb-14 19:50:07

SauvignonBlanche Sun 16-Feb-14 19:53:12

Anyone who is deaf can get one on the NHS, they are much better than they used to be and they now give out digital ones.
Private, top of the range £2k aids are inevitably better though.

colafrosties Sun 16-Feb-14 20:01:57

Cleanthatroomnow Sun 16-Feb-14 20:02:36

The Boots chap said that the main difference with NHS is length of time between appointments to adjust the aids and deal with any problems once fitted. Also, the inevitable waiting list to begin with.

To be fair, he did not disuade me from going down that route and said the aids themselves were much the same. I was very fortunate to be able to go private and also to let someone else use my NHS slot, as it were.

Main point is that an aid can be of huge benefit no matter who provides it.

Cleanthatroomnow Sun 16-Feb-14 20:04:56

Changing the tiny battery is a bit fidddly but otherwise you just pop it in and go. My battery lasts approx 3 weeks.

mineofuselessinformation Sun 16-Feb-14 20:11:08

My mum finally got one two years ago, followed last year by one for the other ear - both on the nhs. They took some time to get used to in terms of the new, different sounds she could hear but they have revolutionised her life and given her back the confidence she lost (she felt very isolated through not being able to hear people when they spoke to her).
After the initial getting used period, they should never feel uncomfortable. If my mum has any problems, she phones the hearing clinic and can usually see them within a fortnight.
She did have to persist in asking for a referral due to lazy gps though.

colafrosties Sun 16-Feb-14 20:14:15

1805 Sun 16-Feb-14 20:17:49

OK. So……suggestions please as to how I get my dad to agree to see this through and give it a go. Please.

Footle Mon 17-Feb-14 14:26:16

Trinpy Mon 17-Feb-14 14:33:34

Watching this thread with interest.

My dad has hearing aids but won't wear them. Except for when he goes for hearing checks at the hospital so he can pretend he wears them all the time hmm .

SauvignonBlanche Mon 17-Feb-14 14:44:10

He's got to want it, hearing aids will never restore normal hearing and take a lot of getting used to.

NotCitrus Mon 17-Feb-14 14:50:47

NHS aids include soft moulds and open fit for those who find them uncomfortable.
The main problem though is convincing someone to wear them especially if they are convinced only old people need aids. Maybe pointing out that it's better to get them when you only just need them, so your brain doesnt forget how go interpret the sounds you've Bern managing without?

Footle Mon 17-Feb-14 16:48:05

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now