Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tired all the time

(11 Posts)
midnightagents Sun 16-Feb-14 15:00:31

Hi I've searched on here for this but none of the existing threads really match my circumstance.

I'm tired all the time despite numerous blood tests which have all come back fine. Last night I slept from 10:30-8:30, got up gradually- pottered about and did some housework, had lunch and am now back in bed again absolutely exhausted despite having more to do and 3 year old to watch.

This is a normal pattern for me, it doesn't seem to matter how much sleep I get at night I always have regular slumps during the day and never have enough energy to get done everything that needs to be done.

Like I say I've been to the doctors a lot and had all the tests. Other symptoms are I get depressed and anxious and have long periods (I'm on the implant if that makes a difference but these symptoms have gone on longer than I've been on that), also get palpitations and have a large appetite (but am not over weight). Anyone got any clue what this can be which wouldn't show up on tests?! (just to clarify the tests have been blood tests, Sti tests, smear, ECG). Any tips for more energy apart from the obvious diet improvements and exercise?!

Thanks in advance, hope I haven't left anything out so as not to drip feed.

trinity0097 Sun 16-Feb-14 15:58:06

Do you have anyone at home that could tell you what your breathing is like at night, just worth checking whether you could have something like sleep apnea, constant tiredness is a symptom and you think you are sleeping through at night when you're not.

midnightagents Sun 16-Feb-14 17:14:45

Thanks for the advice, i did wonder about that. My partner has said he never notices me holding my breath in my sleep. He is normally up later than me reading or whatever so i would have thought he would notice that :/

mercibucket Sun 16-Feb-14 17:28:17

can you tell us your
t4
tsh
thyroid antibodied
ferritin
and
b12
blood results

your surgery can give you a print out if necessary.
it sounds thyroid related to me but could be a vitamin deficiency

midnightagents Sun 16-Feb-14 17:49:55

I didn't realise we could actually request that but I will do next time. All they've said every time I have the blood tests is 'yep that's all normal', and when I asked if they could be a bit more specific they just said 'thyroid is fine, cholesterol fine, iron levels, liver function etc etc', never given any figures so I guess that might be something worth looking into! It's just been such a pain getting through the day at the moment, let alone making plans for the future

sittingbythepoolwithenzo Sun 16-Feb-14 17:55:47

vitamin D deficiency can make you feel exhausted. Do you ache too? Maybe try a supplement (supermarket ones work best for me).

mercibucket Sun 16-Feb-14 17:58:49

sadly it just isnt enough to trust your gp and 'normal'
just phone up tmrw and ask the receptionist then jot them down on here
go back to see the gp as well of course

Ledkr Sun 16-Feb-14 18:01:31

I had this and it was hyperparathyroidism.
They don't always test for it but shows up as high calcium.

RubySparks Sun 16-Feb-14 18:29:57

I have also had similar and was diagnosed with, in turn, coeliac disease, hypothyroidism and early menopause. Still tired but not quite as bad as it was!

craftysewer Sun 16-Feb-14 22:15:37

For years I felt like I could sleep forever. Really struggled to stay awake after 8/9pm at night, turns out I have sleep apnea. Now have a CPAP machine which makes a huge difference. Certainly worth asking to be checked out for it.

NK5BM3 Sun 16-Feb-14 22:20:17

I would second the request for actual figures from your bloods. This is because when ds was v ill, the dr rang back with the numbers and was ready to say oh everything's fine, just a few elevated inflammation markers. It turned out to be systemic juvenile arthritis. He was trying to convince me my son's cries and aches, daily fevers and rashes were 'post viral' and will 'go away'.

The rheumatologist begs to differ.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now