Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can I treat a dry socket at home? Help please!

(7 Posts)
Slightlyneuroricnat Sun 16-Feb-14 12:22:00

Hi,
I had a horribly abscessed tooth out Wednesday which hadn't responded to various antibiotics / root canal treatments.
I did everything I was meant to but the swelling hasn't gone down and looking at the hole, only half is covered by gum so am assuming its a dry socket.
No out Of hours dentist can see me so is there anything I can do to get me through today and tonight?
No amount of pain killers are working

nearlyreadytopop Sun 16-Feb-14 21:47:06

nothing useful to say except I sympathise. I had a dry socket and it was horrible, absolutely horrible.

RonaldMcDonald Sun 16-Feb-14 22:04:51

I had this when pregnant and so had to deal with it without painkillers
it is considerably worse than child birth imo

given the amount of pain I'd try a sleeping tablet or two
you could try the emergency doctor as the pain is insane

Allalonenow Sun 16-Feb-14 22:14:16

Gentle use of hot salty mouthwash and take aspirin as a pain killer as it is an anti inflammatory. I'm sure your dentist will see you in the morning, the treatment for a dry socket is simple and rapidly effective.
If you smoke, try not to, as it can aggravate a dry socket.

shallweshop Sun 16-Feb-14 22:21:22

I have had this and I truly sympathise. Oil of cloves is supposed to be good but I suppose it's unlikely that you happen to have some in. Get yourself to the dentist first thing. They will pack it and the relief will be fairly quick.

MrsBonkers Mon 17-Feb-14 02:45:04

I agree, worse than childbirth. Hope you get to the dentist first thing.

Use a cotton bud to get clove oil into socket. Will sting like mad, but bring some relief.

differentnameforthis Mon 17-Feb-14 03:22:26

Please don't go poking anything into the socket. I am sorry you are in pain, but clove oil is unlikely to help a dry socket on it's own, you are likely to burn the gum which will just add to the pain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now