Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bartholin Cyst/Abscess? Help?!

(5 Posts)
turtle123 Sun 16-Feb-14 00:37:04

I'm 20 years old and I've been having a lot of discharge to the point that my underwear is soaked. Recently found out that I have a small pea sized pimple near the outside of my labia, didn't really mind it until two days later it grew to a walnut! In so much pain I couldn't walk or sit and even called in sick. Tired of the pain I decided to puncture it myself with a sterile needle, I prepped the area with alcohol, and proceeded to puncture the top of the white head, white puss came out but as I proceeded to squeeze it out there was this odor and it was mixed with blood and pus I even saw something black it was sticky, I knew it was infecton. I continually squeezed it until there was a clear liquid coming out BUT the area still hurts, got more tender, and still the size of the walnut?! After the clear liquid came out I stopped since it's painful when I squeeze it. I then wiped it with alcohol, air dried, 5min of warm compress and finally antibiotic ointment.

I don't have any insurance and non-sexual active.

My question is, is this normal? I'm putting hot compress on it again.

Btw sorry for the detailed info. I'm just worried.

mrscumberbatch Sun 16-Feb-14 00:39:14

I think that there is folk on here who deal with it via hot flannel and ibruprofen but from the sounds of things I would really be thinking about antibiotics

Inkspellme Sun 16-Feb-14 09:00:34

I've had 4 of these. two I have dealt with by hot baths and squeezing. one just by oral antibiotics. one required surgery having grown to the size of a ping pong ball in 24 hours.

The ones I burst myself I did in the bath. It dud hurt like hell so you have my sympathy. You are bound to be sore after squeezing it as you're probably bruised. Take a bath and see if it drains more. If it doesn't change significantly you do need medical attention.

you are probably going to get plenty of people saying see a doc now. but if it was me, as long as it was draining I would keep going with the baths and squeezing.

Best painkiller I found was solpadine.

take care.

turtle123 Sun 16-Feb-14 10:13:58

I'm feeling a little but better now but I don't think it decreased in size. However It started to drain again with blood and puss, I think it got a little bit smaller however still tender, I prepped to get it all squeezed out but by the time I put gloves on and cleaned it with an alcohol it closed again, so I guess I'll have to wait for it to open up again. It hurts so bad whenever I squeeze it, some of the reviews say it didn't hurt which worries me. However I'm keeping a very close eye on it.

Floralnomad Sun 16-Feb-14 10:17:38

It sounds more like an abscess than a Bartholins , I had one that sounds similar and had to have 3 weeks of Rifampicin to clear it . I would say you need to see a dr .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now