Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Bartholin Cyst/Abscess? Help?!

(5 Posts)
turtle123 Sun 16-Feb-14 00:37:04

I'm 20 years old and I've been having a lot of discharge to the point that my underwear is soaked. Recently found out that I have a small pea sized pimple near the outside of my labia, didn't really mind it until two days later it grew to a walnut! In so much pain I couldn't walk or sit and even called in sick. Tired of the pain I decided to puncture it myself with a sterile needle, I prepped the area with alcohol, and proceeded to puncture the top of the white head, white puss came out but as I proceeded to squeeze it out there was this odor and it was mixed with blood and pus I even saw something black it was sticky, I knew it was infecton. I continually squeezed it until there was a clear liquid coming out BUT the area still hurts, got more tender, and still the size of the walnut?! After the clear liquid came out I stopped since it's painful when I squeeze it. I then wiped it with alcohol, air dried, 5min of warm compress and finally antibiotic ointment.

I don't have any insurance and non-sexual active.

My question is, is this normal? I'm putting hot compress on it again.

Btw sorry for the detailed info. I'm just worried.

mrscumberbatch Sun 16-Feb-14 00:39:14

I think that there is folk on here who deal with it via hot flannel and ibruprofen but from the sounds of things I would really be thinking about antibiotics

Inkspellme Sun 16-Feb-14 09:00:34

I've had 4 of these. two I have dealt with by hot baths and squeezing. one just by oral antibiotics. one required surgery having grown to the size of a ping pong ball in 24 hours.

The ones I burst myself I did in the bath. It dud hurt like hell so you have my sympathy. You are bound to be sore after squeezing it as you're probably bruised. Take a bath and see if it drains more. If it doesn't change significantly you do need medical attention.

you are probably going to get plenty of people saying see a doc now. but if it was me, as long as it was draining I would keep going with the baths and squeezing.

Best painkiller I found was solpadine.

take care.

turtle123 Sun 16-Feb-14 10:13:58

I'm feeling a little but better now but I don't think it decreased in size. However It started to drain again with blood and puss, I think it got a little bit smaller however still tender, I prepped to get it all squeezed out but by the time I put gloves on and cleaned it with an alcohol it closed again, so I guess I'll have to wait for it to open up again. It hurts so bad whenever I squeeze it, some of the reviews say it didn't hurt which worries me. However I'm keeping a very close eye on it.

Floralnomad Sun 16-Feb-14 10:17:38

It sounds more like an abscess than a Bartholins , I had one that sounds similar and had to have 3 weeks of Rifampicin to clear it . I would say you need to see a dr .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: